• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Column swap question/ramble

LJRockstar

NAXJA Forum User
Did some searching on the site but didn't find the answer i was looking for.

I have a 96 XJ and I want to swap in a column from an older model (the GM style) or even a smooth hot rod style flaming river column. The ultimate goal is to put an old school thin rim steering wheel in it to get rid of the ugly airbag wheel and the big bulky nacelle around the multifunction switch and ignition lock. I also want to gain tilt as well.

I'm not concerned about the wiring compatibility, all I really want to know is will the older style physically bolt in to the 96 without any hassle.

The details if you're interested: I have removed the ignition key and swapped over to an RFID reader and a start button. I've also hooked the Cruise control buttons to dash mounted controls. I've always hated the airbag steering wheel and now the rubber is starting to de-laminate from it which seems like now is a good time to pull the trigger on this swap. Converting the wiring for the signals and high beams to work with the GM style switch should be relatively straight forward.

Hey Eric..

Quite a few have installed late model airbag columns into MJ's with a full dash swap.. I don't see why you couldn't do the opposite.

Back