• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Other vehicles with simmilar wheel specs?

Greenspan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I'm trying to save money on wheels and came up with a kinda out there idea and wanted to see of anyone else has tried it.

Do you guys know what vehicles out there came stock with simmilar wheel specs as our XJs?

I'd like some wheels with a little less backspacing. I'd like my wheels to stick out maybe 0.5"-1.5" more than stock. Do you guys know if there is a popular vehicle out there with 5x4.5 wheels but with 4.75 to 4.25 backspacing (XJ is 5.25 stock right?) that I could easily pickup a set of used stock wheels from?

I live in LA there are gobs of people selling everything on Craigslist so if there is a vehicle out there that came stock with wheels like that I could probably pick up a used set cheap without having to buy spacers or new wheels.

That charts worthless based on his needs for the requested backspacing.

Maybe some TJ rubi takeoffs? Not a lot of factory wheels have a positive offset.

Bolt spacing is off by .2mm, it "works", but not sure I'd trust it to be well enough.

plenty have used it with no problems

.2 mm is probably within the spec for factory drilling....just under 8 thousandths of an inch (0.00787402), or the thickness of 2 sheets of notebook paper.

The factory rims on every vehicle I have ever owned move around on the studs way more than that...............

But it is up to you.......

I found this website:

https://www.wheel-size.com/

They let you search by rim size and you can do a reverse search for vehicles that fit your wheels (LOL).

Looks like the only vehicles (other than other Jeeps) that are the same specs but with different backspacing are 1970-1974 Dodge Challengers. Do you guys know how much of a difference Center Bore makes, how much slop is tolerable in the Center Bore? That's the only spec I'm unsure about.

There is one set of Steelies on Quadratec for $40, pretty much anything else and your talking $70-80 a wheel (and I'd need 6 wheels for a second spare = $480). Aren't the steelies heavier too? I know some of the Wrangler wheels match but I don't think they have the right B.S., I was hoping there might be another vehicle that might match up, but it sounds like probably not. I guess I'll give spacers a shot.

Center register & backspacing may be different, but I know for a fact many of the vehicles I have owned, and my camper & boat trailer as well, all use 5 on 4 1/2 rims.

FYI, my 79 ramcharger 4x4 shows the same numbers except the center bore is .1 mm bigger (71.6 vs 71.5)

ford rangers are similar, but their center bore is 70.6 vs 71.5

Last edited:
I believe all Jeep wheels are lug centric. So hub diameter being big shouldn’t matter. If it was hub centric then it would have to be machined to fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No not really, some Wranglers match that are probably the best bet. Ford Rangers was the only other realistic option I could find but options there are limited.

Saw the 10-spoke XJ turbine wheels on a mid-90s explorer once, so at least the bolt pattern's right. Don't know what the backspacing is, though.

Just get steel wheels, spacers are just another part to fail imo, not that they do often. But they can. Steel wheels $40-$60 each or buy some used, especially the spares.

Last edited:
Back