• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coming to VA.

carmannj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to be in Yorktown for a school at the Coast Guard training center and I was wondering if there is a local place to wheel LEGALLY on the 8th or 9th of DEC. I'm going to be there from the 2nd to the 14th of Dec but I won't be doing anything that weekend. Let me know and thanks for any info!!

Carman

Wow, you can hear the crickets chirping on this one!

I don't know much about the eastern side of the state, its like another state all together over there. I would think you could get into some wheelin on the Outer Banks just to your south if you do not mind driving and like the sand. Maybe some of the locals will step up and help.

I noticed that!! A bit depressing!! I'm not to big of a fan of sand, I'm running 33x10.5 super swampers which pretty much suck in the sand anyway. Thanks for the post though!!! Anybody else besides the above mentioned crickets....chirp chirp.

Carman

there are a couple places to wheel a few hours away from where your going to be, check out the middle peninsula jeep club you can find there site at mpjai.com anyway there is a place called crozet which is privately owned park they have open wheeling weekends often and there is also the George Washington national forest which is free public land just talk to some local guys on the forum they can point ya in the right direction there are some great people in that club

Jim63 said:
there are a couple places to wheel a few hours away from where your going to be, check out the middle peninsula jeep club you can find there site at mpjai.com anyway there is a place called crozet which is privately owned park they have open wheeling weekends often and there is also the George Washington national forest which is free public land just talk to some local guys on the forum they can point ya in the right direction there are some great people in that club

Crozet is a excellant place to wheel, but it is "members only" now. You can wheel there as a non member if you are invited by a member on one of the designated weekends. That will be a long drive from Yorktown as its in central VA. George Wash. is in central VA as well. There is bound to be something closer to the east coast for him to do!

well sorry to bust your bubble but there is really no legal wheeling any where close to the CG base.

Closest thing is the OBX which is an hour and a half away.

Hour and a half HMMMM....... I'll have to look into that, might be a possibility!! It would suck to drive my rig all the way down there and not get off road. Heck I could do the drive in a "Yugo" and not go offroad and get a crap load better mileage!!!! But there would be no fun in that either! HAHAHA

Carman

Yes, Crozet is and awsome place to wheel, if you like lots of rocks! We will be open the weekend of the 8-9th. Guest are allowed to come with a member. PM me if your interested and I can give you the details. We do have some minimum requirments as it is NOT stock friendly, but with 33's you could run the blue trails. But I would hightly sugggest skid protection!

Xjtrailrider, we have the next open wheeling date set for March 1st, love to see you come back up again!

~Michelle~

Also while you are there you can catch up with the Tidewater four wheel drive club. Great club in norfolk/Va beach area that has been involved with Camp Jeep and Jeep Jamborees for years. I ran with those guys for years while I was stationed in Norfolk and it's the best 4wd club I've ever been associated with.

Check out www.tidewaterfourwheelers.org

Specifically jump on their forum and see/ask if they have anything planned for then.

-Ken

DAZYDG said:
Yes, Crozet is and awsome place to wheel, if you like lots of rocks! We will be open the weekend of the 8-9th. Guest are allowed to come with a member. PM me if your interested and I can give you the details. We do have some minimum requirments as it is NOT stock friendly, but with 33's you could run the blue trails. But I would hightly sugggest skid protection!

Xjtrailrider, we have the next open wheeling date set for March 1st, love to see you come back up again!

~Michelle~

I'll be back Michelle, I had a blast up there the last time!

There's just about nuthin near Yorktown. I go all the way out to George Washington NF. Bout 4 1/2 hours from VA Beach. I would just suggest you bring a surf pole and make a week end trip th the outer banks. When I was USCG they let me crash at the station, so atleast I didn't have to pay for the hotel, but that was summer time. I was poor, the hotels were expensive and it was warm enough that theh only thing I did at the station was sleep. Good luck.

Back