• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Greasing front sealed unit bearing hub

oldbill

NAXJA Forum User
Have any of you tried adding grease to a sealed front unit like found on a 2000 Jeep Cherokee. If so how did you do it and did it work. Any advantage to doing it?

Why, go p/u a new Timken and be done.

I have done it on stock hubs with the rubber seal--just pop the seal out, clean the bearings with brake cleaner, pack them up again with wheel bearing grease, and tap the seal back into place. SKF hubs have the rubber seal too, one of the reasons I buy them for replacements. All the others I've seen have steel seals that are too difficult to remove without damaging them.

Mine's a 96. last summer a brake caliper seized tight enough to bring
smoke out of the fender well. Caliper issue has been solved, but I've been
worried about the wheel bearing and if the grease has been compromised?

Is it worthwhile to change out the grease (if possible)?

Dont think they're serviceable. Comes out as one piece and looked like a PITA to disassemble, although it's been a while since I looked at one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I'll probably wait until there's a reason to change
it out then. It's not leaking grease or making noise.
Thanks for the response.

I did it when I built a set of spare shafts. Wanted to be able to just bolt up another shaft if I broke a u-joint on the trail. I drove around on them for a while to make sure they were working alright and had no trouble.

Back