• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Google Maps - Off Road places

XJensen

NAXJA Forum User
I though it would be cool to have a map of off road parks and trails, kind of like a wikipedia style map. It can be edited by anyone so feel free to add known trails and park locations, leagal spots only please.

I figure this will help the noobs stay in leagal areas and may even show the old timers some new places to wheel.

let me know what you think!

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=114970100836187058914.0004411c5de5318bf791e&ll=38.754083,-99.404297&spn=47.326141,75.410156&z=4&om=1

I just realized that the catch with Google is that I need to e-mail the link to any who would like to edit the map. If you do not have a google map login you just need to put you e-mail in there and make a password. Then edit the map.

You can also e-mail the map to others under the collaborate link. Send me your e-mail or I think we have a NAXJA e-mail I can send anyone the link that would like to edit the map.

karstic said:

Thats cool I never saw the site before. I thought it would be cool to do one of the trails we use, just a point and maybe a link. I saw the red river guys had a sticky of a Google earth file and thought why don't we all do that.

I waste too much time here when I should be working. :gag:

That's a really cool setup. Now I really gotta get going on getting my XJ back together.

XJensen said:
I though it would be cool to have a map of off road parks and trails, kind of like a wikipedia style map. It can be edited by anyone so feel free to add known trails and park locations, leagal spots only please.

I figure this will help the noobs stay in leagal areas and may even show the old timers some new places to wheel.

let me know what you think!

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=114970100836187058914.0004411c5de5318bf791e&ll=38.754083,-99.404297&spn=47.326141,75.410156&z=4&om=1

I have always liked this format, and it's been around for a very long time. http://www.4x4trails.net/

The more tools people make, because they are unaware, or just want to make their own, the more the information is spread out and no one gets the whole picture.

Last edited:
Neat idea! I had fun looking at the Moab trails.

BTW, Lion's back is mis-marked. What's pinpointed is the smaller "Lion's Cub" fin inside the Sandflats park. Lion's back is down and to the north a bit by the first switch back of the road. You can see Hell's Revenge trail just above the fin.

Zuki-Ron said:
I have always liked this format, and it's been around for a very long time. http://www.4x4trails.net/
The more tools people make, because they are unaware, or just want to make their own, the more the information is spread out and no one gets the whole picture.
I can't agree with you more Ron. The problem with having the information everywhere is that it is often hard to find and to comb through several sites to get the best information. With that being said I have put some links and others can add theres to the description boxes on google maps to point people in the right direction.

The problem I see with sites like 4x4trails.net is simply the lack of data. Any time you have a user only input site with little to no management the quality of data just is not consistantly there. On the other side of the coin a site that is only managed can have plenty of detailed data but will be limited in content, number of trails. I would like to find middle ground and simply point people in the right direction, where the best data is for each trial.

I also believe that geographic data should be, for ease of use, be displayed geographicly. Thats why I put it on google maps.

YELLAHEEP said:
Neat idea! I had fun looking at the Moab trails.

BTW, Lion's back is mis-marked. What's pinpointed is the smaller "Lion's Cub" fin inside the Sandflats park. Lion's back is down and to the north a bit by the first switch back of the road. You can see Hell's Revenge trail just above the fin.

Thanks for the notice and enjoying. I will move Lion's Back but you can also edit the map by logging into google maps

username: [email protected]
password: trailmaps

FishPOET said:

Thanks for the link. I will start linking the site to the map.

GrimmJeeper said:
moved azusa canyon OHV to the actual entrance :D

thanks for doing this, good idea!

I will be adding more and updating links as I go, but its good to see other contribute. its not alway easy to find an entrance from written directions to a place I have never been to. Thanks for correcting my mistakes Grimm.

Back