• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Low Wash Light won't go off

XJSport93

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone,
Yesterday I filled up my washer fluid but now my low wash light won't go off, and I filled it to the top. It has gone off when I filled it up before. Aby guesses why it won't go off? Also, Is the 4X4 light that comes on when you put it 4wd cuz I thought there was one but it has never come on for me?
Thanks in advance - Jon

What year are we talking about here? Have you opened the washer bottle and poked the float with something to see if it is floating at the top or jammed at the bottom? Do you have a vacuum disconnect in your axle?

Re: 4x4 light
Which transfer case is it -- Command-Trac (2WD, 4HI, N, 4LO) or Selec-Trac (2WD, 4HI, 4HI Full-Time, N, 4LO)?

If it's Command-Trac, an orange "Part Time" light should illuminate in 4HI or 4LO.
If it's Selec-Trac, same thing, but there's also a green "Full Time" light that illuminates when it's in 4WD Full-Time.
These lights are on the second "row" of the indicator panel.

Bronco said:
What year are we talking about here? Have you opened the washer bottle and poked the float with something to see if it is floating at the top or jammed at the bottom? Do you have a vacuum disconnect in your axle?
I haven't checked to see if anything waas floating on the bottom, if there is something in one of these spots could this be a problem?

iBran said:
Re: 4x4 light
Which transfer case is it -- Command-Trac (2WD, 4HI, N, 4LO) or Selec-Trac (2WD, 4HI, 4HI Full-Time, N, 4LO)?

If it's Command-Trac, an orange "Part Time" light should illuminate in 4HI or 4LO.
If it's Selec-Trac, same thing, but there's also a green "Full Time" light that illuminates when it's in 4WD Full-Time.
These lights are on the second "row" of the indicator panel.
The first one ... 2WD 4HI N 4 LO

bajacalal said:
Unplug the connector for the sensor of the washer bottle. My light comes on if the tank is less than 3/4 full and its irritating.

I don't feel like I need a warning that my washer fluid is low because its not critical.
It is critical if you live in the northern states. Running out of washer fluid on a slushy road combined with sand, salt and god knows what else is a dangerous situation.

I wish the sensor had some sort of "delay" -- like, the sensor has to detect a consistent "low" fluid level for 10 seconds or more before it illuminates the light. It is annoying to have the thing flash when you hit a bump or go around a corner. And yeah, like you said, the damn thing comes on when it still has 2/3 left!

iBran said:
It is critical if you live in the northern states. Running out of washer fluid on a slushy road combined with sand, salt and god knows what else is a dangerous situation.

I wish the sensor had some sort of "delay" -- like, the sensor has to detect a consistent "low" fluid level for 10 seconds or more before it illuminates the light. It is annoying to have the thing flash when you hit a bump or go around a corner. And yeah, like you said, the damn thing comes on when it still has 2/3 left!

X2 Nothing worse than driving around rainy, wet Vancouver streets with no washer fluid. eek! I would love to hear about installing a larger washer fluid tank that holds 2 litres.

BTW check the float. it's probably stuck. There's not much to the sensor. I had mine apart on Sunday installing a Washer fluid heater.

Last edited:
2 liters? I just filled mine (completely empty), it took almost a whole gallon.
I fill all the way to the top, but even at the "full" line it must be 3L+.

iBran said:
oooh, do tell us more about this! is this just something you rigged in there, or an actual aftermarket kit?

After market kit I installed Click Here

In the end I didn't need to take off the washer tank but I wanted to have a look at the pumps on the bottom. I mounted the unit on the fire wall just above the washer tank. I will have to get some pictures. :D

gjxj said:
2 liters? I just filled mine (completely empty), it took almost a whole gallon.
I fill all the way to the top, but even at the "full" line it must be 3L+.

What year is your XJ? Mine is a pre-97....

Besides the 'stuck' theories, you might also check to see if your float is waterlogged. ;) Happened to mine and I noticed it when I held the float in hand. Seemed awfully heavy for a piece of foam. Fixed it with another new piece I made from some crap that was lying around. Worked well for 6 months until the switch went out. :D

Fram: I believe that you will find that your washer tank holds more than 2 litres. It is actually somewhere around 4 litres. I just filled up my tank last night and it was bone dry and took 1 full jug which = 4 litres.

Mercenary said:
Fram: I believe that you will find that your washer tank holds more than 2 litres. It is actually somewhere around 4 litres. I just filled up my tank last night and it was bone dry and took 1 full jug which = 4 litres.

Good Damnit! I must have a small tank then. I only get 2 litres or half a jug!!!

My 05 Altima takes a whole 4 litres! It's sweet! :D

I just filled it up a couple of hours ago when I took these pictures of the heater fluid unit:

Is your tank that small?

What year/engine is yours, FRAM?

Mine is a '94 4.0L, and the bottle is on the opposite side of the engine... passenger side, in the corner against the firewall. It doesn't hold a full gallon, but pretty close to it (~3L?).

What's in that place on your engine? If it's empty, go to a junkyard and get the bigger bottle!

Mine also has the rear window wiper/washer. Does yours?

mine does that $hit, i figured unplug the 2 wire connector for the sensor and clean contacts, that worked for me.or just totally unplug it. mine was majorly corroded at the contacts so that was my prob just a thought.....

iBran said:
What year/engine is yours, FRAM?

Mine is a '94 4.0L, and the bottle is on the opposite side of the engine... passenger side, in the corner against the firewall. It doesn't hold a full gallon, but pretty close to it (~3L?).

What's in that place on your engine? If it's empty, go to a junkyard and get the bigger bottle!

Mine also has the rear window wiper/washer. Does yours?

I have a pressure bottle on in the place of your washer tank. I have a Renix non-HO 4.0L closed cooling system. I have no Rad cap. See this picture for my underhood specs:

josh89xj said:
mine does that $hit, i figured unplug the 2 wire connector for the sensor and clean contacts, that worked for me.or just totally unplug it. mine was majorly corroded at the contacts so that was my prob just a thought.....

x2. Unplug it and clean the contacts. Mine were corroded and crusted in dried washer fluid... just needed some cleaning and it works like normal now.

Back