• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gearing

JMOliver

NAXJA Forum User
What would y’all recommend ? Jeeps is a 99 xj 4.0 auto with 35s” hpd30(spartan)/8.25.

Not sure if I should go 4.56 or 4.88, also what about speedo gear? I have the right one in for 35” tires and 3.55 gearing at the moment. Will be dropping it off at shop in next week..
372b0b8d453f98af9484f3974a602a1d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no experience with 35 tires, I got 33 tires and 4.11 gears, I want to regear, and am serious. considering 4.88 over 4.56. I have a 1990 XJ so my top gear is a bit different than later jeeps, and the early motor has less power.

for 35s I would go with 4.88 for sure from what I have read. better offroad, and on highways, specially up hill.

^^^
X1000

with 4.11 and 33 inch tires my tach reads 2000 rpm at 65 mph, 3rd gear reads 3000 rpm roughly. (AW4 tranny) And it down shifts into 3rd on the freeway frequently on the slightest grade. they is not much power at 2000 rpm pushing a loaded jeep, roof rack, 12.5 x 33 MT tires at freeway speed.

The only saving grace is my transfer case, is that my low range is 4.1, else offroad would be miserable. On highway she is slow, hard to keep up with other jeeps in a highway convoy.

But the regearing will wait, I got frame stiffeners and rockrails to deal with installing. and some winch, compressor rewire projects. Until then, on the highway she performs like an underpowered VW Bus, in the slow lane if there is any uphill.

33s 4.56 aw4, planning on 35s. my current tires weigh more than most 35s. i dont think ide care for steeper gearing than 4.56 if your DD this vehicle. imo 4.88 would wrap out through gears just a bit quicker and rpms a little higher than ide care for on highway.

if its a trail rig then 4.88+ no doubt. pinions become comically tiny though

Back