• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Trans Yoke length

Tardis XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '89 XJ, 4.0 mpi, AW4, NP 231, 4 door that I just replaced the Dana 35 rear axle, and it appears that the yoke on the transmission end of the drive-shaft is now just barely long enough to keep a seal (no fluid leak has been detected). Q, are there different lengths for the 27 spline AW4 transmission yoke? If so, who sells them? I'm already grateful for any help I receive here.

I have a '89 XJ, 4.0 mpi, AW4, NP 231, 4 door that I just replaced the Dana 35 rear axle, and it appears that the yoke on the transmission end of the drive-shaft is now just barely long enough to keep a seal (no fluid leak has been detected). Q, are there different lengths for the 27 spline AW4 transmission yoke? If so, who sells them? I'm already grateful for any help I receive here.

You replaced the axle and now the driveshaft seems too short? Or was it too short to begin with? If it's a new problem, double check that the new axle is rotated properly and sitting in the correct position on the leaf springs. Did you swap in a newer D35 (the newer c-clip version has a rubber fill plug instead of a threaded metal one)?

There are at least two different length rear shafts, depending on the transmission and xfer case. The automatic trans is about 1" longer than the manual. Lifting the XJ can also require a longer shaft.

Thanks for the info, but I asked about the YOKE LENGTHS and not the drive shaft lengths. I've seen longer length yokes for lots of different transmissions, just not for the AW4--I'm looking to find the length of the longest 27 spline yoke for the AW4. Do you know what length the longest yoke might be?

You sure you're not looking for a yoke for a NP231, not an AW4?

One from a YJ is what you're looking for. They're 1/2-3/4" longer, can't remember which. A SYE is the better choice.

Back