• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Event Description

DrMoab

NAXJA Forum User
I know you have been busy so I though I'd lend a hand with this. Here is an updated version of the event description for Geostash. You can check it and then send it to the moderator to update the first post in the Geostash thread. I updated the date, location and added some links to google maps.

Intermountain Geostash Challenge​

Date August 22st-24th 2008

Description

The NAXJA Intermountain Geostash Challenge will be a run involving your jeep, a GPS and your thinking skills.

Taking place in the Wasatch Mountains in Davis Count between Farmington Canyon and Bountiful Canyon in of Northern Utah.

How it works
On the western side of the Wasatch Mountains, in Davis Count between Farmington Canyon on the North and Bountiful Canyon on the South, 20 caches will be placed in remote locations. Each participant will have 3 days to locate the caches of their choice. The goal of the event is to use your GPS, mapping skills and common sense to locate 5 hidden caches while enjoying and exploring the area. Each cache will contain a sealed "Package" in which you will find specially marked playing cards. The evening of the final day, a dinner will be held and together everyone will open their "Packages." Prizes will be given to whomever can make the best 5 card poker hand using the cards found in each cache.

The event will be headquartered at the Ward Compound in Fruit Heights. Instead of Dinner on Saturday night it will be moved to Sunday afternoon along with the prize hand outs.

Note: A GPS is not required for this event. You can buddy up with someone who has a GPS.

Costs

No Registration costs.
$20.00 a poker hand.
$7.00 Dinner per person.

Rules

1. Each participant will only be allowed to take 1 "Package" per cache per hand purchased. Each cache will have an individual mark on both the card and the sack they are sealed in. If anyone has more than one card per hand they have paid for from a single cache they will be disqualified. Packages retrieved from the caches remain sealed until presented to the officials for counting!

2. Everyone must obey the posted Forest Service speed limit of 30 MPH. This contest does not reward speed. Everyone will have the same amount of time to complete the challenge. Officials will be roaming the forest looking for speeders. If caught you will be disqualified.

3. All vehicles must be part of the “buddy” system. Two or more vehicles must be together at all times.
Why?
-- The forest is vast and help could be a long time coming. Some of these caches are very remote.
-- To meet new people.
-- Those without a GPS must buddy up with someone who has a GPS.

4. NAXJA vehicle requirements must be met.

5. Each vehicle must have a two way radio. Either a CB or an FRS radio. Each area will have a set channel and everyone will be required to run on that channel.

Last edited:
Is there a "town" nearby that I can base some route planning on?

If possible we might try to swing by on our way home from Montana.

someone gonna cahnge the date till this year :)

I might be up there in late Aug. So is this area up in the Provo Riv. area E. NE. of Kamas & Samak ??
I can barely figure out how to turn my damn GPS on... I think the batts. are corroded in it... might be fun to tag along for a day or two... depending on what the family has going.
Might just have to take the XJ this year....

Curt

Xtreme XJ said:
I might be up there in late Aug. So is this area up in the Provo Riv. area E. NE. of Kamas & Samak ??
I can barely figure out how to turn my damn GPS on... I think the batts. are corroded in it... might be fun to tag along for a day or two... depending on what the family has going.
Might just have to take the XJ this year....

Curt
Yes its NE of Kamas but its also directly south of Evanston Wyoming. In fact HQ and basecamp will be about exactly 12 miles south of Evanston on HWY 150.

DrMoab said:
Yes its NE of Kamas but its also directly south of Evanston Wyoming. In fact HQ and basecamp will be about exactly 12 miles south of Evanston on HWY 150.

Interesting.....

Curt

Superflie said:
where are the ":NAXJA: vehicle requirements"?

Goatman said:
Equipment List
1. Visibly charged fire extinguisher (BC or ABC)
2. First aid kit
3. Adequate spare tire, jack and lug wrench
4. Safety belts for driver and any current passenger
5. Adequate attachment points in the front and rear of the vehicle:
Acceptable forms of attachment points: (All Items must be mounted in a manner to provide adequate strength and integrity)
a. Tow hooks of OEM or greater integrity
b. D-Rings
c. Shackle/Clevis
6. 20ft 10,000lb snatch strap without any metal hooks
7. Secured battery (no bungee cords)

Looks like those vehicle req might leave me out. I'm good on 1 & 2, 3 is iffy as my spare is the factory one, but I do have a spare wheel and tire in the garage that holds air, so I could throw it in the back. 4 is fine.

5 is the kicker. My XJ is stock and really doesn't have good tow points. That was one of things I was looking for with the front bumper mentioned in another post.

6 - I don't have one right now, but I can get one easily. and 7 is fine.

So, will number 5 get me disqualified from running? I would prefer to stick to easier trails anyway, so hopefully I could buddy up with some others with similar preferences.

Otherwise I should have the front bumper and rear hitch done for next spring and we'll look at coming out to an event then.

Mark N
2001 Cherokee Sport
Stock, and staying that way for a while yet

mnoeltne said:
Looks like those vehicle req might leave me out. I'm good on 1 & 2, 3 is iffy as my spare is the factory one, but I do have a spare wheel and tire in the garage that holds air, so I could throw it in the back. 4 is fine.

5 is the kicker. My XJ is stock and really doesn't have good tow points. That was one of things I was looking for with the front bumper mentioned in another post.

6 - I don't have one right now, but I can get one easily. and 7 is fine.

So, will number 5 get me disqualified from running? I would prefer to stick to easier trails anyway, so hopefully I could buddy up with some others with similar preferences.

Otherwise I should have the front bumper and rear hitch done for next spring and we'll look at coming out to an event then.

Mark N
2001 Cherokee Sport
Stock, and staying that way for a while yet

The whole event is on trails that would be friendly for stock vehicles. A few of those requirements would probably fall under the "advisable, but not a deal breaker" catagory. You'll be fine. :)

Israel said:
The whole event is on trails that would be friendly for stock vehicles. A few of those requirements would probably fall under the "advisable, but not a deal breaker" catagory. You'll be fine. :)
Yeah, we don't run things like Remi.:D

Good!!

On another note, is there a spot nearby the event headquarters that would be suitable for parking an RV for a night or two?

My wife and I just got a new-to-us motorhome and a close-in trip would be good for trying things out and refining our packing list. We would only be an hour or so away from home in the Bountiful/Farmington area so if we forgot anything really major we could run home for it in a pinch.

Thanks!

Mark

I am thinking of going on this but am fairly new to the XJ comunity in the Utah area and dont know of any one that would also be going... so how does the whole buddy thing work out? and I live in sandy and dont want to drive all the way to kaysville to pick up a registration.... how does this all work.. thanks

We'll pair you up with at least one other participant for the reasons stated in the first post. Since you're new to the community, we'll be sure not to put you with one of the jerks. :D I'm not available anyway, I'll be helping cook.

You can register when you arrive so don't worry about picking one up early. See you there!

Back