• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RocktoberFest '19 - Oct. 25-27

If Paul's job is anything like mine they don't even want to know more than a week before. There is no scheduling time off. If they need you to be in and you say you can't they will probably just lay you off.

Yeah, that's the boat I'm in too, and im in the middle of a colossal s**show. Running it. I'm making it, but just barely. Taking the jeep off to dump it up there tomorrow, (after work). Along with the shirts and whatnot.
Wish me luck.

Thanks for the info, Rich. That gives me something to plan around with my uncle who's joining me (he came along for a day back the last couple times RocktoberFest was down here, and is looking forward to riding along again this time). Given the distance from TwinGrove, I'll probably not be staying aired down/disconnected for running to/from camp, so 8:30 gives me time for that before the office opens.

I recall the paperwork being on-par with Rausch (basically just a waiver, no "membership", and it's electronic via iPad instead of on paper), and buying the day's pass, so not too bad. I would expect Friday to be relatively quiet being a non-summer weekday, but that's just a guess. Eric (EHall) is up there a lot, I'm sure he'll weigh in shortly on the matter.

Shirts and plaques, eh? I'll be looking for those then (and if you have any leftover plaques from NACFest this year, I'd like to get my hands on one of them too)...

Rob it's not too awful far just a little hike more north on 81 for the most part.
For the record I've run the highway aired down to 12 on mine many times and it drives fine, and haven't even had a swaybar for a few years now, you'll be fine.
Nice to hear your uncle is coming along, I remember him coming from before!
We will have a good time, hell or high water.
Rich

Well, I have to go to Poughkeepsie next week for work (thank you for the condolences). It also appears that my wife has to work next Sunday. So, it looks like I may be granted a hall pass to come home by way of Pine Grove, PA.

Is it too late to request a meal ticket for Saturday?

Does anyone have a seat for Saturday? I don't think I'll get there Friday until after noon at the earliest, so will likely not be able to make runs on Friday.

I'll likely stay Friday and Saturday night at the Hampton Inn in Pine Grove, since that's one of the closest hotels, and I'm arranging this so late.

I'd very much look forward to seeing you all. I'm also guessing that since I need to be pairing down my beer cellar, that a number of them may end up in the trunk on the way down. The temps are just fine this time a year to keep them properly stored.

David Bricker / SYR

I recall the paperwork being on-par with Rausch (basically just a waiver, no "membership", and it's electronic via iPad instead of on paper), and buying the day's pass, so not too bad. I would expect Friday to be relatively quiet being a non-summer weekday, but that's just a guess. Eric (EHall) is up there a lot, I'm sure he'll weigh in shortly on the matter.
That's right. Do the e-waiver beforehand and you only have to pay for the pass the day of the ride. Line gets long so get in early.

Well, I have to go to Poughkeepsie next week for work (thank you for the condolences). It also appears that my wife has to work next Sunday. So, it looks like I may be granted a hall pass to come home by way of Pine Grove, PA.

Is it too late to request a meal ticket for Saturday?

Does anyone have a seat for Saturday? I don't think I'll get there Friday until after noon at the earliest, so will likely not be able to make runs on Friday.

I'll likely stay Friday and Saturday night at the Hampton Inn in Pine Grove, since that's one of the closest hotels, and I'm arranging this so late.

I'd very much look forward to seeing you all. I'm also guessing that since I need to be pairing down my beer cellar, that a number of them may end up in the trunk on the way down. The temps are just fine this time a year to keep them properly stored.

David Bricker / SYR

David, if you're able to sneak down this way to make the event I'm certain that a seat can be found somewhere for you! It is not too late to sign on to the event, doing so is preferable to paying at the door (also an option, but because of the food situation we would like the most accurate head count possible).
On that subject, unless things have changed I think some people have been remiss in at least letting us know they are coming. Please, it counts, this is a lot of legwork behind the scenes.
Rich

Hey David its not too late to sign up

Might have extra bunk in my cabin

OK, I'm signed up for dinner. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Eric, if you still have a bunk, I am very interested. The Hampton Inn decided to bump their rates by $60 a night since Friday. I'll be talking with them Monday, but if they're sticking to their story, they'll be losing my business.

Does the bunk require bedding?**** Edit, looking at the campground website, looks like I'll throw in a sleeping bag and pillow in the car. **** I just need to know before I leave tomorrow( Monday) morning fro Poughkeepsie.

David Bricker / SYR

Last edited:
Rob it's not too awful far just a little hike more north on 81 for the most part.
For the record I've run the highway aired down to 12 on mine many times and it drives fine, and haven't even had a swaybar for a few years now, you'll be fine.
Nice to hear your uncle is coming along, I remember him coming from before!
We will have a good time, hell or high water.
Rich

Yeah, it's been a while since he's been able to make it out; now that he's retired, it's easier for him to schedule (sort of). We're both looking forward to it.

I'm used to making the run from RC down to the camp aired down and disconnected, but the 35-mile run to AOAA was a little longer than I have ventured on-road that way. I will give it a try on the run back to camp Friday night aired down/disco'd just to see - I literally just replaced the MT/Rs on my rig with a brand-new set (noticed recently that the DOT date code on them was early 2011, and decided that was getting a little old for sustained highway travel), so that'll probably help matters a bit. I decide I don't like the feel, I can always pull over and at least put the swaybar back on.

Eric, on the waiver - I did one back when I did that "trail of tears" thing a year or so back, but I thought the park staffer who helped me said it was a "once and you're done for life thing". I'll have to double-check on that, and have my uncle do it online as well, but doing it again isn't a big chore especially since it's online (something I wish Rausch Creek would do for their memberships and waivers as well).

This will be my second time at AOAA, and this time I'm looking forward to having heat in the truck (last time, I got on the road and found I had a blown fan resistor pack and a dying blower motor).

I also got to the bottom of my CB radio problems from back in June - turned out there were a couple things wrong:

1. My "counterpoise" wires snaked inside the roof rack to create ground plane were worn out. Removed in light of #2.
2. I added a nice ground connection between the roof rack crossbar and the roof rack rail to get the antenna mount grounded to the body, rendering the counterpoise wires unnecessary. Apparently on my Jeep, I had good ground connection between the rail and the body, but not between the rail and crossbar.
3. The mast of my antenna had worked its setscrew loose and was rattling around in the coil base. Tightened that back up, but may look into getting a new whip at one of the truck stops on 78 (maybe that Pilot out by exit 26, they have some radio stuff).
4. #1 and #3 probably conspired to blow the output of my old RadioShack radio - when I went to retune the antenna, it wasn't moving the VSWR meter at all. Had to get a new radio (nice little Cobra I got at the local Wal-Mart), and then I was able to get everything tuned up nicely.

I'll have the VSWR meter with me again if anyone needs an antenna-tuning check (if I pick up a new antenna mast, I certainly will)

Decided to check with AOAA on the waiver I did in Feb. 2018, here's what I found out just now when I called them:

Anyone who's got a waiver in the system now should be good for this weekend; that means if you've been there at least as recently as I have, you don't have to fill it out again for RocktoberFest next weekend.

However, they're having updates to the waiver made, which "go live" this Jan 1.
At that point, all waivers in the system (even ones added now) will be purged and everyone will have to sign the updated one.

The impression I got was that if they weren't updating the waiver and forcing a "refresh", the ones on-file would have remained good even beyond the end of this year.

Anyway, that's what I found out, thought it'd be worth passing on.

Make sure you register for Saturday nights dinner if you haven't done it already. We need to get an accurate headcount. Registering by Wednesday would be a huge help!!

Hey guys, I am looking for somewhere to crash as well. I have not even looked at the XJ yet, plan to do that later this week. I will probably come up Friday evening, so if someone has a bunk for me to crash in Friday and Saturday nights, that would be great!!

A.

Decided to check with AOAA on the waiver I did in Feb. 2018, here's what I found out just now when I called them:

Anyone who's got a waiver in the system now should be good for this weekend; that means if you've been there at least as recently as I have, you don't have to fill it out again for RocktoberFest next weekend.

However, they're having updates to the waiver made, which "go live" this Jan 1.
At that point, all waivers in the system (even ones added now) will be purged and everyone will have to sign the updated one.

The impression I got was that if they weren't updating the waiver and forcing a "refresh", the ones on-file would have remained good even beyond the end of this year.

Anyway, that's what I found out, thought it'd be worth passing on.

Thank you Rob! I did mine last night so I should be good to go. Again, good to hear you're making it out, should be a nice time!

Hey guys, I am looking for somewhere to crash as well. I have not even looked at the XJ yet, plan to do that later this week. I will probably come up Friday evening, so if someone has a bunk for me to crash in Friday and Saturday nights, that would be great!!

A.
You can always spoon chris...

FYI folks. Anthracite has a food vendor on site. Kelsea's Kitchen. They open at 8am Friday and Saturday and do breakfast til 11am. They start lunch at 11am. Friday til 2pm, Saturday til 4:30.

I expect to have an empty bunk. Bring your own bedding.

Bedding is in my car. Thank you for the hospitality; I’ll make it right with you.

David Bricker/ SYR-SWF

Back