• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cloyes True roller(Double roller) timing Set for stroker

rav

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Guys;
I was looking for the cloyes true roller timing set, as my mechanic said they are highly recoomended for strokers or supercharged engines, for my 99 stroker and came across this from summit will this work on mine:-
CLO-9-3127 Original True timing set, AMC 4 & 6 cyl 1964-up $106.69 (summitracing)
Any one here using this, any opinions appreciated. Mike at accurate power has one but it only goes upto 98, did they cahnge anything in 99?
Timing Set '87-'98 Cloyes Tru-Roller (double row roller) TS-3 $125.00(accurate power)

Thanks;
ravi

rav said:
Hi Guys;
I was looking for the cloyes true roller timing set, as my mechanic said they are highly recoomended for strokers or supercharged engines, for my 99 stroker and came across this from summit will this work on mine:-
CLO-9-3127 Original True timing set, AMC 4 & 6 cyl 1964-up $106.69 (summitracing)
Any one here using this, any opinions appreciated. Mike at accurate power has one but it only goes upto 98, did they cahnge anything in 99?
Timing Set '87-'98 Cloyes Tru-Roller (double row roller) TS-3 $125.00(accurate power)

Thanks;
ravi

I talked to Mike about it when I bought my pistons, he said they are nice, but not absolutely necessary. There are some changes to the late model engines that apperantly require a different or adapted gear set. That's a good price from Summit, I may end up getting it.

CRASH

P.S. Stroker should be assembled by the end of this month!

CRASH said:
I talked to Mike about it when I bought my pistons, he said they are nice, but not absolutely necessary. There are some changes to the late model engines that apperantly require a different or adapted gear set. That's a good price from Summit, I may end up getting it.

CRASH

P.S. Stroker should be assembled by the end of this month!

Good to know about yours, mine should be ready this time next year, what rods are you using, i won these on ebay:-
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2476462961
These are supposed to be the strongest, this coupled with ARP rod bolts, i think should be fine.

ravi

Last edited:
Oh, so you went with a short rod stroker?

I bought a magged, balanced and ARP'ed 4.0 set from Mike, along with a set of his forged pistons.

I couldn't handle dealing with the flaky guy in Pennsylvania, he gave me a very uneasy feeling about ordering from him.

CRASH

CRASH said:
Oh, so you went with a short rod stroker?

I bought a magged, balanced and ARP'ed 4.0 set from Mike, along with a set of his forged pistons.

I couldn't handle dealing with the flaky guy in Pennsylvania, he gave me a very uneasy feeling about ordering from him.

CRASH
Yup, since i could not source the Eagle rods, and the fact that the 707 casting rods are reputed to be stronger then the 4.0,also not to mention i would not need the forged pistons which would have been more $$$ (being a student sucks) made the decision easy, also i stumbled for these on ebay and for the price i got them for, they were a steal. Please keep us all posted on your built up, BTW do you have the part # for the shim kit that you ordered from jegs, those should work on mine too right?, funny mike lists 0.030 longer pushrods on his site :dunno:

thanks;
ravi

I don't have the part number handy, but I got them from Jegs, and they were listed as MOPAR shims.

I'll have a complete writeup on the whole Princess II project in about 6 weeks.

CRASH

CRASH said:
I don't have the part number handy, but I got them from Jegs, and they were listed as MOPAR shims.

I'll have a complete writeup on the whole Princess II project in about 6 weeks.

CRASH
Cool, i will just wait for the right up then, all the best.

ravi

I just spoke to Mike@ accuratepower and he said it should work on the normal distributor setup which is what i have, it wont work on the coil on plug applications that came out in mid 99 and up. I guess, summit racing will get my order.

ravi

Cool. I'll get on the horn with them soon, I *THINK* that is the last major part I need to assemble the motor.

My bank card will appreciate the rest!

CRASH

Was at napa and they have the same CLO-9-3127 for $182, wtf :bs:

ravi

I run the Cloys 9-3127 in my stroker, not because I think the motors "have" to have it, but because I think that if one is spending the large sum of money to build a stroker it just makes sense to build it as strong as one can. I put it under the "cheap insurance" category.

This is what my relatively low mile "regular" Cloyes looked like when I pulled the motor down for the stroker build:
Image22-vi.jpg

Image26-vi.jpg

I think the extra money is well spent on the magnafluxed gears and a more substantial chain.

Bones :skull1:

Bones said:
I run the Cloys 9-3127 in my stroker, not because I think the motors "have" to have it, but because I think that if one is spending the large sum of money to build a stroker it just makes sense to build it as strong as one can. I put it under the "cheap insurance" category.

Bones :skull1:

Yup... Same reason I bought the true roller timing set, the Melling oil pump, the ARP bolts, etc. etc etc.

If you're going thru the effort of building a stroker, might as well make it reliable and bulletproof

Gil "In for a penny...in for a pound" Bullycatz

The Mopar Performance double roller chain is in fact made by Cloyes for Mopar (Info courtesy of Bennie @ Hesco)...I put one in the mighty 2.5

Dawg

rsalemi said:
Rav - I got a better deal - Genuine Mopar in package on Ebay for $27 - 1 only!! None left!!

$27!!!, that was not a deal it was a score!!, vow, i am happy for you, as for me i am glad i got it shipped, for $86 as compared to $103 & $125 from summit and accurate power.

ravi

XJoachim said:
Are you sure they're gonna fit in the 4.0 stroker? They say 232 and 258 engines, not 242 :dunno:

Cam to crank spacing on the 232,242,and 258 is the same, crankshafts and camshafts are also interchangeable (with minor effort).

Thanks for the link, Rav. I picked one up.

CRASH

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, got one too :shhh: :laugh:

Back