• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 torque converter.......

RCP Phx

NAXJA Forum User
Has any one ever found one with heavy duty construction (as is billet,etc). I'm not interested in changing the stall speed but looking for one that would not "balloon" under pressure.

Didn't Toyota use this trans in the supra? Would the converter from that work?

Didn't Toyota use this trans in the supra? Would the converter from that work?

The toyota version is the A340H but I believe it uses a different torque converter, I've got a call back on that tomorrow.

Don't know if it is what you're looking for, but it's about the strongest TC I've found for the AW4

https://www.oregonperformancetransmission.com/product/PDQ-TOY-342.html

I had seen that one and some others but with no information on them?

I still haven't been able to talk to Oregan Performance(they don't answer the phone) but I have talked to everyone else in the country including custom converter builders. It appears that there are no converters out there that are based on other than a factory shell. Most that I talked asked why, when I told them about what was going on they said no way!

The AW4 was only in Jeeps, the other versions do share some parts but the main thing is the mainshaft spline count is different from the Jeep.

Yesterday while inquiring about rebuilding my trans my local shop suggested a place that might be able to build a custom converter. Gave them a call only to find out the answers no on a AW4. I've been in contact with OPT on other parts so I will probably pull the plug on one of theirs.

When I was calling around for a killer trans converter I raised this question. Still the only real options (even though the bolt pattern/spline is different) are stall speed. I even called places that make billet converters, but no!
https://www.racingconverters.com/

Back