• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 laredo with 5spd grinds in 3rd and 4th

xjrooughrider

NAXJA Forum User
maybe someone can help it has 149,000 and i picked it up for 800 bucks so ya its got a few things wrong but for that price I figured it would be ok to spend some coin on it. Anyway it grinds when i shift into 3rd and 4th. the clutch seems to be ok and im not sure if you can adjust them (if so please let me know). I was also wondering if a ax-15 from a slightly newer jeep would bolt up. hasta

Just do it right and go with an Auto swap...

Someone did it to mine a couple owners ago.....

I belive that would be the Puegot (Pukegoat) 5spd, they are trash...

I think a newer trans would bolt up just fine though.....

NO WAY! wouldnt trade the stick for an auto any day. it is worth it to me I looked a long time to find a 5spd. thanks for the info though.:passgas:

Its likely the 3rd and 4th syncro's are shot but I wouldn't recommend putting any money into that particular trans.

I too had the ba 10/5 pos once upon a time....I swapped it out for an AX 15.
The swap has been covered here with all the info you need to complete it.Do a quick search for AX15 swap.

I like my auto trans!! Having a f'd up left knee and a bad left shoulder, two hand and two foot driving just hurt to much any more.....
Don't get me wrong, i love to row my own gears, but at some point the arthritis says it's had enough.....

It's because you have the Peugeot - with aluminum synchronisers (bah!) and they actually make the gears too hard when they heat-treat (somewhere around 58-60HRc, if I recall the tests I've done properly.)

I know more about these things than I'd like to - when I did my Materials & Processes class, our final was to do a manufacturing report on something. I happened to have a BA-10 that I was tearing to bits anyhow (my third one.)

An AX-15 will bolt right up, but you'll need to modify the transmission tunnel slightly (the hole needs to be lengthened toward the rear for shifter lever clearance) and the crossmember needs to be moved back (there is another set of screw holes, but the nutserts may be rusted out and you'll have to cut access holes in the side of the "frame rail" for nuts and washers.)

Ref. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=70388 for more information.

Back