• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ with Select Trac Grab Walking Occasionaly When Turning Sharply When Parking

oldbill

NAXJA Forum User
Occasionally when I'm pulling into a parking space and turning tightly the front end seems to crab walk. Doesn't do it all the time, feels like the axles are locking and unlocking or binding and unbinding. Don't notice this when I'm driving on the highway or making normal turns.

I would start with a fluid change making sure it's compatible with a NP242.

242 takes dex 3. I would check the front axle u joints odds are they have never been changed and are getting dry. I have a 242 and go lock to lock probably 30 times a day and it never binds. I put in new front axle u joints last year, it's a big job.

Yeah, my thought is that unless the NP242 is in full-time 4WD, it has no bearing on the observed behavior. Besides axle u-joints, I would consider the wheels on the vehicle. Low offset wheels (e.g., the typical 3.75" backspace used for many alloy wheels that fit the XJ) trash the scrub radius. My XJ has 3.75" backspace wheels, and the front tires will readily skid and squeal in tight parking lot turns. No issue for mild turns associated with highway driving.

Back