• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1989 renix starts but dies

BlueCuda

NAXJA Forum User
A friend of mine has an 89 that's having a wierd problem.

It will start but will only run with they key in the start position. If you let the key back to ignition it dies.

New ignition switch
Good battery
Tried bypassing the Balast resistor just to see if it made a difference. It did not. Any ideas?

Thanks

Well as soon as I posted this I figured it out. He told me had swapped the relays around but he lied. I swapped the front two relays and it fired right up second relay back was bad.

Alldata said the second relay from the front is the B+ Latch Relay....not sure what it is but it was bad lol.

I gotta tell y'all, this post saved my butt! For a week I've been trying to fix my kid's 89 xj with the very same problem. Changed ignition switch, checked ceramic balast resistor ... read a TON of discussions. Then I tried switching the fuel pump relay with the one next to it - FIRED RIGHT UP AND KEPT RUNNING!!! :clap: Confirms that I ain't no mechanic, but I sure do appreciate those of you who share your experience (BlueCuda, Crusier54). Thanks so much - and here we are 10 years after the original post!!

Back