• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC line Condensation

Load Clear

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry, if this is out there already, I do not find comments with my same problems and I am already down a vehicle. My 1999 XJ with only a 3 inch lift and transmission cooler for mods (nothing within the last 5 years) is my daily driver. The drier canister and metal ac lines are soaked with condensation. So much so that I had a significant puddle of water under the Jeep after a 1.5hr drive yesterday. Running it for 20 minutes this morning, i see that the metal parts are drenched. I find no obvious leak but the condensation starts dripping when I shut the car off. The AC is running cold and no moisture on the floor. If the lines are frozen or there was blockage, should the AC still run well?? I live in Tucson, it has been a little cooler but no humidity. This is definitely not normal. I did not have any problems driving it last night. I will take it out today. Hoping to catch a problem early here.

Thanks

If the AC is not working, then the lines won't get cold. There's no source of water other than the outside air. What you're seeing just means that the humidity is sufficiently high and the AC lines are sufficiently cold to cause condensation on the lines. Mine has done it too. Insulate the lines. Besides stopping the condensation, your AC will work better.

Pretty common on every XJ I've owned in Texas. I'd rather have the puddle than the alternative- a clogged drain line and a rusty floor.

For sure. I’ve have been driving this for 20 years and have not seen water like this. And I live in Tucson so nearly no humidity. I was hoping I was not missing something. I appreciate the feedback guys.

That is the accumulator not a dryer and having a cold / sweaty low pressure line and accumulator is a sign of a happy system.
And the higher the relative humidity is the more condensation it will produce.
You should also see a water dripping from the drain tube from the evaporator housing.

Back