• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flashers/turn signal issue

WhiteTonka

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,

I have a 1997 xj and my flashers are turning on when I turn off my turn signal. When I turn the wheel and it resets on its own then I don’t have a problem but if I’m switching lanes or something so I gotta turn off the signal manually then the flashers engage. I did notice that the flashers turn off if I pull down the turn signal lever a bit then let it go up. This is rather annoying though and the flashers usually still flash a few times if I do that. Any ideas?

Thanks

Failure of the clicking flasher module and/or the turn signal multi-function switch assembly does happen. If I recall correctly, 97-01 have a flasher module for the turn signals, and one for the emergency flashers.

Make sure all the bulb sockets and ground points are free of damage and corrosion. Make sure any trailer wiring is not boogered up and causing electrical problems.

Consider replacing the turn signal switch assembly. The job takes about 30 minutes with a few common hand tools.

Back