• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sudden Loss of Power Steering ???

chvymtl3

NAXJA Forum User
Here is the scenario, I put my new JCR Ultimate sliders on, cranked the Jeep up to let it run for a while when I was putting away tools. The engine was at full operating temp, went to get in the Jeep to pull it out of the shop and now I have no power steering! I checked the fluid level, checks good, no leaks, no noise from the pump. The steering will work with enough brute strength. Have you guys ever heard of a pump taking a dump almost instantly? WTF !!:banghead:

I've been through this before. Mine was caused by a piece of crap clogging an orifice in the steering gear. It happened going down a ledge on Moab Rim and I ended up on my lid.

For safety sake, you need to completely tear the gear down, clean, flush and rebuild.

I've been through this before. Mine was caused by a piece of crap clogging an orifice in the steering gear. It happened going down a ledge on Moab Rim and I ended up on my lid.

For safety sake, you need to completely tear the gear down, clean, flush and rebuild.

I'm with "Old Man"^^

usually, when the hose or pressure relief valve fail the result is a screaming whine that you can't ignore. The lack of noises tells me the pump and relief valve are probably working correctly and the gear is plugged.

Interesting. new one on me.

Back