• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Learned my lesson!

NW-ZJ-SCOTT

TEXAS-JT-SCOTT
NAXJA Member
While installing my Spartan locker friday,I got some brakleen spray back into my mouth, tried to wash it out... I mean, it was very faint amounts, just a couple of tiny splats hit my mouth..

6 hours later i was caughing alot
12 hours later i was in the ER.

after 18hours in the hospital and more medications and Xrays then i expected.. I am home. running on 50% energy. and 80% oxygen levels.

Lesson learned. carefull with Brakleen:rolleyes:

Wow... Not sure I'll be buying brake cleaner again... Brake dust takes way longer than 48 hours to kill you...

Damn man hope your recovery is quick.

Wow, well after reading this I have thrown out all my brakekleen. I'm with Dustin from now on soap and water or maybe simple green. It's not worth the pausible long term affects. Glad your ok Scott!!

It's just so ironic. Brake dust MIGHT have asbestos. Inhaling asbestos in large amounts or over a long term MIGHT cause lung damage or mesothelioma health. So we'll make this spray to remove brake dust that FRIGGIN KILLS YOU ON THE SPOT.

brilliant_medium.jpg

BRILLIANT!

Sometimes some soap and water just won't cut it and you need to use the right stuff. Brake cleaner is good stuff when used right. You just need to read the labels and be aware of the risks. You might look stupid, but throw on some safety glasses when using the stuff. I think we're all guilty for not taking the right precautions when working on our Jeeps, or using tools and cleaners.

After doing a lot of grinding and painting this past week, I realized I probably should have worn a dust mask at the minimum. Instead I opted to blow black boogers for a few days straight. :wierd:

Sometimes some soap and water just won't cut it and you need to use the right stuff. Brake cleaner is good stuff when used right. You just need to read the labels and be aware of the risks. You might look stupid, but throw on some safety glasses when using the stuff. I think we're all guilty for not taking the right precautions when working on our Jeeps, or using tools and cleaners.

After doing a lot of grinding and painting this past week, I realized I probably should have worn a dust mask at the minimum. Instead I opted to blow black boogers for a few days straight. :wierd:

What, you don't like black snot and brake fluid in the eyes? What about not being able to hear for 30+min after using a grinder to clean the frame rails?

Precautions are just that, to prepare for a worst case. Unfortunately it often takes a near-worst case scenario to actually happen to us to learn the lesson. At least, it commonly works that way for me. After enough close calls I now where a face shield when grinding/spraying/drilling/pounding stuff.

~Scott

FWIW, what doesn't kill ya makes ya stronger! Seriously, tho, glad you're doing OK Scott... lesson learned: DON'T GET THE STUFF IN YER SYSTEM! Dust mask: 2 for 3 bucks at Lowe's... Goggles: 8 bucks at same place... being able to breath and see: PRICELESS!!! :party:

Be safe and be good man. Oh and someone do some wheeling at the NWfest for me seeings how the jeep is down for the count right now.

Back