• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire Carrier Hinge

hairyharry155

NAXJA Forum User
So I finally built my finished building my rear bumper and I really like the way it turned out. Now I want to build a tire carrier for it but I can't figure out a good way to hinge it. It looks like the normal 'tire carrier hinges' are designed to mount on the topside of the bumper. My bumper hugs too close to the tailgate and the lights for that so I was thinking a flush mounted hinge is the way to go. The only example I could find was this one from Custom 4x4 Fabrication and this is what I want to do.
rbstcon.jpg

This is my bumper, before it was finished.
bumper.jpg

It says on thier website that they use a tapered roller bearing. Does anyone know where I can find something suitable to use? Thanks.

I recall hearing somewhere that someone (or a few people) had had good luck using trailer spindle assemblies for tyre carrier hinges - welding (or bolting) the spindle to the bumper and welding the tyre carrier to the sleeve. Trailer spindles use opposed tapered rollers, so you can dial them in to eliminate rattle - then use a small rubber block in the latch to keep that from rattling as well (you should have to push slightly on the thing to shut it - if it just shuts on its own, it's going to rattle.)

Check Norther Tool & Equipmentfor trailer parts and such - I've ordered other stuff from them before, and I like their service. www.northerntool.com, I think. You'll want their catalogue anyhow - it comes out three or four times a year, and there's always good stuff in there!

you're problem is the trailer spindle has to mount vertical. blocks your tailgate. not a problem on a wrangler...you need a flush mount hinge that is strong enough to support a tire and wheel bouncing up and down on a jeep. and a way to attach it without it breaking off in the middle of nowhere. or, move the spindle away from the rear enough to clear the tailgate, but that presents problems of leverage as well.
i would try Mcmaster Carr. good luck.

swamp

I'm not sure of which company it was but some one that makes flush mount tire carriers uses brass bushings and sells replacement bushings. Get a set and some tube for them then make a hinge bracket like on the one above.

Back