• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Car Trailers

Mighty.Mighty_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I guess this question would be for the guys using basic trailers: what size trailers are you guys using to tow XJs?

What would be considered the ideal bed size for an XJ?

Car trailers generally come in 16', 18', and 20' lengths with a GVW of either 7,000 or 10,000 pounds.

Any combination will handle an XJ just fine. The larger and heavier duty trailers will do it better, but they aren't a necessity.

Personally, I like the 10k trailers not just for the extra capacity, but for the larger brakes they usually come with. They cost more though.

Aluminum trailers are nice too. More money but lighter and not rust.
Drive over or removable fenders are a plus.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

You forgot 12' MrSimon. U-Haul car trailers are 12'. Yeah, yeah I know they're custom, but still ...

Anyway ... I've towed my XJ with 12, 16 & 20 footer & they all towed great except for my most recent, a 16' cutie, but that swayed quite a bit at highway speeds when I went to NACfest. Maybe it was too light. Anyway, it's gone & I'm looking to replace it & I'm just trying to determine the "sweet spot" of trailer sizes (if you will excuse the awkward phrase). So based on the size of the XJ, just wondering what size trailer might be the most balanced.

I think the sweet spot is 18' 10k. That's what I bought, and I love it. It doesn't sway, it pulls straight and steady, and the brakes are strong.

The 10K was only a few hundred dollars more than the 7k, and it only weighs a few hundred pounds more.

A built XJ packed full with wheeling gear will be about the max a 7k trailer is rated for. That's fine, and it won't really be a problem, but I like the extra security of the 10k.

Also pay attention to things like the tongue jack, ramps, lights, wiring, tires etc ... when buying a used trailer, those are the things that can nickle and dime you if they aren't in good shape.

Lastly, I prefer a wood deck over a metal deck. I put my Jeep on the trailer to work on it, and I just prefer laying on a wood deck more than a metal one.

Thanks for that MrSimon - much appreciated. I have been looking at some for a couple weeks now & actually have a line on an 18footer. (As an aside: When we lived in Atlantic City last year that would have been too big - as it was, our 20 footer was parked several streets away & attracted would-be thieves! Here in VA, an 18 ft has a LOT of land to rest on).

Anyone else have opinions on this topic?

Rich G (NAC Rocktopus) what is the size of your trailer?

Mine is a wood deck 10K. I agree with Jordan that a 7K will get the job done but I too like the bigger brakes of a 10k. Remember I started out with a 7K and went up when I got the chance. That said, no trailer sways all by itself. Proper tongue weight, and the tow vehicle itself, have a lot to do with that.

Cool, Thanks Rich. My trailer didn't actually sway. I guess that's the first description that came to mind. What happened was that the XJ seemed to be rocking from side to side at times. It was really odd, but we concluded that it could be because it was too light for my pig of an XJ. Anyway, water under the bridge ...

Really hoping for some more input ...

Mine started out as a 16' deck and extended it to just about 18'. It may be a bit rough looking, but the XJ sits just fine on it. The dove tail addition was to be able to load and haul a 914 based race car, but it allowed the XJ to sit back just an inch or 3 back. We all know what my tow rig is, so balance is key.

--Matt

....seconded.....hey are you the guy no one but me and carol see anymore?.....miss you.

You're part of the chosen few Rich.

Miss you guys too.

Soon... soon.

--Matt

Yay! We found another trailer & sold the first one (which I really liked in spite of the issue). It's an older 16ft, great shape, a bit heavier than the other, wood deck, with 2, 5k axles (only one of which has brakes). It's registered as an 8k due to the absence of brakes on the rear axle. Owner says it tips the scales at 1600#.

I'd love to post pics, but it's been so long that I have forgotten how! Besides I don't see an option. Does my name have to be red to post pics?

Mine started out as a 16' deck and extended it to just about 18'. It may be a bit rough looking, but the XJ sits just fine on it. The dove tail addition was to be able to load and haul a 914 based race car, but it allowed the XJ to sit back just an inch or 3 back. We all know what my tow rig is, so balance is key.

--Matt
If you're towing with the Exterra, then I should definitely be able to tow with my 4.7L Durango. I've done it with my 5.9L Durango in the past, but with a different (borrowed) trailer. Dunno what that one weighed, but the Durango pulled it just fine. These days after knowing a little bit more about these things, I'd hesitate to tow with the smaller engine vehicle even tho it's reputed to have a better tranny than the 5.9. Gears are different too & the XJ is much heavier these days ...
Anyway, I've seen your set up, seems pretty efficient.

I'm towing with a Chevy 1500 143 inch wb 5.3 and 6 speed. What would you all recommend for a trailer? I was thinking 16'?

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Back