• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ABS mods? have they been done

xj trenton

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90 xj wagoneer with ABS and was thinking of modding it with a laptop to make it work at any wheel speed like the range rover.no need for the locker just apply the brakes and the abs system releases the tire not turning. Sounds good but has anyone done this?

xj trenton said:
I have a 90 xj wagoneer with ABS and was thinking of modding it with a laptop to make it work at any wheel speed like the range rover.no need for the locker just apply the brakes and the abs system releases the tire not turning. Sounds good but has anyone done this?
isn't 90's abs the "bad" abs that people just end up ripping out?
http://www.naxja.org/html/techarticles/uninstall_OEM_ABS.htm

I have it diconnected now but I like the way the rangerover handles on the road with open diffs and when you throw the switch and hit the brakes it climbes over stuff like it has a locker and downhilling is awsome you can use the brakes at low speed and it works

Hmm. Interesting.

So do I understand you, that let's say your front right wheel can get traction, but your front left is spinning. If you can get the ABS system to put more braking power to the left front, it will allow you to "select" the right wheel for traction?

Not sure if I got that right, so sorry if I screwed up your question! If this is the case, why would you need a computer? Could a switch of sorts turn on/off ABS to the wheel? Unless, if course, you want it automated to select the correct wheel on each axle?

HAPYMUDY said:
Hmm. Interesting.

So do I understand you, that let's say your front right wheel can get traction, but your front left is spinning. If you can get the ABS system to put more braking power to the left front, it will allow you to "select" the right wheel for traction?

Not sure if I got that right, so sorry if I screwed up your question! If this is the case, why would you need a computer? Could a switch of sorts turn on/off ABS to the wheel? Unless, if course, you want it automated to select the correct wheel on each axle?

That's the idea:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/four-wheel-drive7.htm

I'm familiar with this "traction control" system as we had it in an upscale Grand Caravan (front-wheel drive). When switched on, the ABS system would pump whichever wheel was spinning. It helped a lot when scrambling up inclines on some rough dirt roads, and theoretically it could be done on that early Bendix system. . . but that's a scary thought!

I have a 91 that "had" the same system (yup, it's the "bad" one). I hated it, parts were dealer only and/or expensive ($200+ for a sensor), performance and diagnostics were unreliable, and intermittently it would just freak out.

For $100 I converted to a 95/96 non-ABS system and for $229 I put an Aussie Locker in the back. That's the ABS mod I'd recommend. Cheaper, easier, and more reliable than interfacing a laptop to that archaic system.

I also have the Bendix 9 ABS in my '90 XJ Wagoneer. And thankfully I'm still alive to talk about it.

Modifying this ABS system to do anything is like adding a turbocharger to a seized engine. It might look good but it's still useless.

I didn't trust mine and now have the brakes alone, no ABS. I added lockers and a 2Low kit to my t-case. I have far more versatility than ever before and traction has not been a problem.

For a mental exercise it makes sense....in the real world save yourself the grief and don't do it. Imagine if you hit somebody with this compromised system that you further "enhanced" with your own modifications....the legal implications are horrendous.

My 2 centavos....

3XJFamily said:
For $100 I converted to a 95/96 non-ABS system and for $229 I put an Aussie Locker in the back. That's the ABS mod I'd recommend. Cheaper, easier, and more reliable than interfacing a laptop to that archaic system.

what parts did you replace for only $100?

all I want to do is have a traction controll system that will be almost as good as lockers with out the drawbacks of fulltime lockers or the cost of air lockers I drive on a lot of icy roads and a locker would put me into the ditch more often than not

xj trenton said:
all I want to do is have a traction controll system that will be almost as good as lockers with out the drawbacks of fulltime lockers or the cost of air lockers I drive on a lot of icy roads and a locker would put me into the ditch more often than not
that's a somewhat tall order.....

xj trenton said:

Your ABS will put you into the ditch WITHOUT lockers....think of the money you'll save.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

that's a somewhat tall order.....

Not really factory system on a rangerover and man it works like a charm I think it would be kick ass on a jeep think 150 for used laptop 25-30 to link wiring to simple program lockers on command

John90XJ said:
Your ABS will put you into the ditch WITHOUT lockers....think of the money you'll save.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

thats why I run with it disconnected now and I dont want to waste all that junk when i may be able to use it to my bennifit

xj trenton said:
Not really factory system on a rangerover and man it works like a charm I think it would be kick ass on a jeep think 150 for used laptop 25-30 to link wiring to simple program lockers on command
OK, let me put it a different way: warn me when you're planning to cross the border and visit US: I will need to warn friends and family. Also give me a heads up before you decide to drive to Toronto (same thing: need to warn from friends).

Look at what you're trying to do: you're trying to get a cheap laptop, a handful of parts and modify an ABS system which is known to fail and you want to end up with something that the Range Rover folks have spend a lot of pounds developing.

Kejtar said:
OK, let me put it a different way: warn me when you're planning to cross the border and visit US: I will need to warn friends and family. Also give me a heads up before you decide to drive to Toronto (same thing: need to warn from friends).

Look at what you're trying to do: you're trying to get a cheap laptop, a handful of parts and modify an ABS system which is known to fail and you want to end up with something that the Range Rover folks have spend a lot of pounds developing.

Ok I understand your fear but it will only be operational at low speeds off road when on road it will be just like a regular bypassed sysem (safe)

Back