• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WF ideas!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a thought after reading a few more pages:

Keep in mind that if you're going to negotiate with the park for early arrival times, discounts on camping, etc. (if that's the direction the MWC wants to go) you HAVE to be willing to pull the trigger on another park.

As long as the old guard of the MWC continues to say "this is where winterfest will be held forever," you have nothing that the badlands wants that it won't get by sticking to its guns. I personally think that there should be much more of a partnership than there is, but unless they're concerned about losing the revenue we generate, they're not going to make any concessions to bring in our business.
----------------
I know it's not Hale's intention, but the vibe you're putting out tells me you think everyone bailed on cleaning the VFW. If you don't solicit volunteers prior to dinner, then mention it to the 50 or so people left after the raffle, you're probably not going to get much help. We threw our trash away, pushed the chairs in and saw what everyone else did: no one in charge.

I can't speak for Kyle (park owner) but I'm pretty sure he'd be willing to work with us. He knows that WF is a long running event and in the past has been all ears when I was talking with him on WF realated issues back in my MWC Presidential days. I truely don't believe that he's got the "I've got them by the sack!" mentality. He's just not that kind of person.

You're partially right on the VFW cleanup.
It's not my intention to put off that vibe. I shouldn't expect everyone to stay, and I don't. I do think that part of the issue was the "shock factor". In the past, we wiped off tables, pushed chairs in, and ran the dust mop over the floor and we were done. This year was a different beast. We had more people this year than ever, and it sorta through us for a loop as far as the clean up goes. Yes, we should have thought of that but, we didn't. I know I didn't anyway. Another thing is that the VFW wasn't really prepared for us either. The lady workingthe bar had no idea we were going to be there from my understanding. The VFW knew.....they just didn't relay the message. I think all we'd have to do is ask and they to would accomidate us with some more folks behind the bar.

Having dinner a bit later is a good idea and I do think it would help. Just us simply talking about here I think is good. Folks now know what it took to clean that stuff up and might be a little bit more aware of it next year.

Thanks for your input Josh. I/we do appericate it. :wave:

Careful what you say there, there are a fair share of us that make a commitment to a 8-10+ hr drive one way...

As for other venues, MN/WI doesn't have much, tho there is a place in WI I'm trying to work with for a M&G/Wheeling event....

Most of us go more for the M&G anyways, wheeling is just a perk...

tEx

You've never met Josh have you? :D

The portions will be addressed with Robies.

the VFW hall is it, there was room for additional tables, and the bartender issue has been addressed already.

Winterfest will ALWAYS be in Attica, we learned from our mistake, and wont make it again.

I also like the idea of a two day event, that way we can get off the trails early enough on Saturday to allow everyone to clean up for dinner.

We will also be working with Badlands to allow us to set up registration before the gates open so we are ready. they let us in early this year.....but not early enough...they asked what time we wanted to be in, and I told them, I whoopsed.

Rev

Last edited:
my only suggestion is to turn down the heat at the VFW a bit, damn i was hot

I am still taking notes everyone. If you have ideas or opinions, please keep them coming. We can only make this event better each year if we get the input from you, the attendees. I am not directly addressing some of the suggestion in an open forum due to many reasons, but have faith that your suggestions and opinions are being heard and will (or currently are) being discussed by the WF Staff and the MWC BOD. Thanks again for the input. I personally believe that the WF staff did an outstanding job in putting this event together and overall it was a great success. There were countless hours of work and phone calls/emails put in to pull this off, and it was all done by VOLUNTEERS who got not a single thing in return. I personally came into office in January and most the hard stuff was already planned, so my input was minimal from the stand point of the new position. I do really appreciate the help that was given by the WF Staff, The MWC BOD and the additional volunteers that stepped up in any way to help out where needed. Whether leading a trail or picking up more firewood, all help made this event what it was.....one to be remembered!! Thanks again.

Cheeseman-OUT!

Heat was off.
Air was on.

Wow were some hev weight mofos huh :D

josh kept making me open the door. i kept closing it because it was hard to hear haha.

i asked if you wanted to switch seats :D

REW 'sweating like a fat kid chasing a ice cream truck' STER

so. Most everything has been mentioned.

Regarding the CBs. Maybe we can pick up a few chapter cbs. some cheap midland jobbies (I paid 25 bucks for mine) and some mag mount antennas. They would be nice to have for the noob run as well.

Megaphone is on the list. I will be purchasing one the next time I get to Mansfield and donating it to the chapter. Tyler just isn't loud enough!

staging: I'll admit that lining up the Jeeps in the staging area was a bit chaotic. I wasn't prepared, and we didn't have enough space. Really was overwhelmed there. I think we need to setup some sort of staging area where we can do tech/staging and then line them up farther down the parking lot. We need to have a choke point so all rigs get inspected before they join the sea of jeeps at the bottom of the hill.
I also saw someone mentioning colored dots denoting a rigs build. This is a great idea. I felt really bad for sending the guy with the welded D35 on the hard run and it caused issues. My fault.

I would like to volunteer to setup a more organized staging area/tech inspection. I will work with whomever is doing tech next year so we can get the staging crap sorted out in a timely/organized fashion.

a no pants trail run? anyone? anyone?

I felt really bad for sending the guy with the welded D35 on the hard run and it caused issues. My fault.

Sound like me.

We shouldnt wheel the D35 on hard trails anyway even I made up the exact same rock climb 3 months ago on the D35.

Other thing,

I actually feel kinda upset on how the WF staffs treated dozer XJ when his front driveshaft and a couples of other things broke on his XJ then the staff (leader or so) refused to help. I am upset that the staffs decided that dozer XJ passed the inspection but eventually changed mind when dozer XJ was in a very rough position! you leader should've suck it up and pulled him off the rock face then ask him to get off the trail (he has to anyway as the damage was bad) to get the tow points fixed.

Your tech inspections are :bs: so please make your decisions FINAL and STICKS with IT at the parklot, not in the trail when that person's 4x4 needs the help the most.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back