• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbie Looking for wheeling trails

hey guys( and girls)

I Bought a 93 Xj with 73k on it, and so far I have been absoultley happy with it.

I went wheeling with my parents near markleeville about two weekends ago, and well I am hooked. I have never driven off-road, only ridden with my grampa. My questions is, where can I find good wheeling trails? I know that you guys might not want to give all the good secrets to a newbie, but any trail recomendations would be grately appreciated. THanks so Much any advice about owing a XJ would also be greatly appricated however I am going to keep my XJ stock for awhile.

thanks all
nate

There are tonns of great trails around N. Cal, around where you live I dont know.My best suggestion is if you havent wheeled much go to some places like Prarie City or Hollister and really learn what your rig can do. You will be suprised what it will do in stock form.

We are always going on trails so keep looking at the board, this is the best group to learn from.

Yeah you wont stay stock for too long, before you know it you will want 35's and an exo cage.:D

I give Nate one trip with the Sierra Chapter before the itch to modify hits.

CRASH

I can verify that "itch" stuff. All i did was make the Swamp Lake run last year, and every since my 4" lift just isn't big enough. But I'm tryin to keep the "Honey I want..." list short, i.e. bigger lift, bigger tires, bigger axles , bigger . . . . . . . . By the way, there is a book "Backcountry Adventures:Northern California" which has about 300 pages of trails and a stock XJ can handle about 99% of the trails in that book. You can normally find it at Barnes and Nobles stores. The bad news is it's $35 !!!

Rob D

Nate, check out Hollister Hills SVRA. That is the perfect place to get your feet wet. There is plenty to keep the stock to slightly modified rigs busy for a full day of low range action. ;)

Jes

Edit, and to all you guys talking of inchitis. :rolleyes:
I have 5"s of lift and am happy where I'm at and have run a lot of western rock trails. Big lifts are over rated, learn how to drive! :)

I was about to agree with you, but then my stepmom told me that the UPS guy was here! So forget packing my stuff to move, I'm going to go look at my parts! RE 6500, 5.5" for MJ's!

thanks guys for the info, The only reason I am going to try to keep my xj stock is because well I cant afford to modify, I can afford the lift kit, but after that no money left for tires or gears. Not to mention that my parents dont want me to have a kit, they say I will roll over, which is crap. I do have my eye on that 4.5" rustys kit though it looks sick, and when I have the $$... my jeep will be 4.5" higher, with big tires!

I will keep my eye out for trail runs that u guys do, that would be alot of fun, but I might not be able to drive some of them though by the sounds of your guys rigs.
thanks much
nate

93GRNXJ said:
thanks guys for the info, The only reason I am going to try to keep my xj stock is because well I cant afford to modify, I can afford the lift kit, but after that no money left for tires or gears. Not to mention that my parents dont want me to have a kit, they say I will roll over, which is crap. I do have my eye on that 4.5" rustys kit though it looks sick, and when I have the $$... my jeep will be 4.5" higher, with big tires!

You don't need a lift to go wheeling. I took my XJ out wheeling a week after I bought it then got my first body damage a month later. I wheeled my rig while it was stock for almost a year. I suggest you find the limits of your stock rig then upgrade accordingly.

Jes

Jes said:
You don't need a lift to go wheeling. I took my XJ out wheeling a week after I bought it then got my first body damage a month later. I wheeled my rig while it was stock for almost a year. I suggest you find the limits of your stock rig then upgrade accordingly.

Jes
Sound advice. Learn what you and your rig can and can't do first. :cheers:

There are runs coming up and I think one in a week or two, I cannot rememebr since I cannot make it. My best advice to you is to go with a cheaper 3" lift, that will get your mind thinking of how much you will actually use your Jeep.

Rusty's stuff is not all that bad. I had his 3" AAL for a year or so before upgrading and it did just fine. I you wanted to spend the $250 or so for it I will have some 31's available soon for dirt cheap for a newbie.

Jes is right, you dont need a huge lift. In fact less lift and maybe only one locker or limited slips can make a trail more interesting. What fun is it if you can just walk over everything without effort.

I have had a plenty good time with my 4.5" lift, 33's (plenty of fender cutting) and no lockers. Run some trails and decide what it is you really want before you get started. It's a lot cheaper and less frustrating to do the major upgrades once. Trust me I know. Hang around and learn, the knowledge here is amazing.

Jeff

nate, i grew up in san rafael. one place we used to mess around in h.s. was up behind dominican college. you gotta look around a little, but there is a few ungated entraces into the land, you could even get all the way up to the top above china camp near the radio towers, but that is way sketch. We also used to wheel behind costco in novato, but I think that is getting pretty hot. We also used to go out past hamlton field, but stopped doing that after being caught by the novato police. as far as legitimate places to wheel, the closes ohv areas are prarie city (near sac, 2 hrs away), hollister (south of san jose, 2-2.5 hrs), and cow mountain (northern sonoma county 1.5 hrs). I used to go camping and wheeling in Mendicino National Forest, north of Clear Lake, there's 100's of miles of old logging roads and 4x4 trails, I think you'd really like it there, just bring a map first.
I hope this helps, I was in your situation not too long ago, (TL class of 02).

Aaron

HEY thats awsome Im a TL 04!! yeah me and my friends we have done the places u are talking about, but they are not that good, and besides and 03 that I know got caught behind cosco, and had to do a crapload of comm. service and pay a fine.
nice to hear from a TL grad, I am going to keep the wheeing leagal now.
nate

nate,
Welcome. The advice from the Sierra Chapter guys is great and right on target. Jes states that he ran stock for awhile and that was possible because Jeeps are built that way, one just needs to know the vehicles and drivers limitations and he's done well. I can't hang with most of these guys as they are all built and my XJ is still pretty stock.

I went out with the Sierra guys one week after driving off the show room floor bone stock and they were all welcoming, knowledgeable and a big help. Unfortunately, time and lack of money keep me from participating with them as much as I would like. That's why after 1 and half years I'm still collecting pieces to modify the XJ with and taking it slow to get to where these guys are.

At the risk of sounding like a poser 91 NAXJA trip and 1 meet n greet in 16 months) Here's a little, well a lot of advice, it's free and most of it was given to me.

Getting a lift and tires is always the first thing folks want to do because it makes your Jeep look like it can perform, but reality is different.....medium lift leads to the added cost of a slip yoke eliminator & drive shaft (~$400), large tires lead to low power or re-gearing (~$800 becuase hey you need a locker also). Lifts will allow you to climb rocks, but if you slip off??????bang to a costly underside component. or worse....what happens if you get stuck... where would you secure a snatch strap?

So 1st, modify your vehicle to meet the minimum requirements to go on a NAXJA trail event.
Tow hooks front, not just going to Kragen and bolting to the bumper, secure with a bracket from (everyone has their favorite fabricator). Cost less than $100.
Rear Tow Hooks -or- a reciever trailer hitch, make sure it has 2" reciever and not the 1". The trailer hitch needs to be attached with the nutstrips to spread the load over the uniframe. ~$200
Tow Strap NO HOOKS! at least 20' long and two inches wide, that equates to about 20K#s. ~$35
Fire extinguisher, this you can get at Kragen, get a B:C Class that is Coast Guard approved. ~$20
First aid kit; Although perfectly OK to buy a pre made one at Kragen, you pay for crap that is over priced. Get a small tackle box and put in things that you would like to have when you get hurt, Burn creme, bactine, band aids, Ice Packs, tylenol, tampons (soak up blood, makes a good large wound compress) ace bandages and latex gloves. ~$50
Spare; donuts according to the minimum requirements for the Fall Fling technically OK but you'll get a side ways look from your fellow trail riders. Real size stock wheel ~$35 check craigslist or go to a wrecking yard.
Jack: Well that thing under the back seat works....sorta. Buy a Hi Lift when they are on sale, they cost about $60.
Fluids. If this thing is new to you and your family, you don't know the history. Change all the fluids.

Well that cost about $500, about the size of a lift without the hidden costs mentioned earlier and is about my entire annual vehicle mod budget.

2nd. Protect it.
Skid plate for the fuel tank, puncture that and well you'll probably need more than that 2lb extinguisher. Pick your favorite manufacturer but think ~$200. You'll need to remove the trailer hitch to install this so might want to move this up in priority and install at the same time as the hitch.
Rock Rails. Here I go out on a limb and endorse a product.... Off Road General Store Super Nerfs, except no substitute. This will protect your vulnerable rocker panels and the super nerfs are stylish also. Can't recall the cost but worth every penny.
The next vulnerable under side component is your transfer case, probably another ~$200 for skid and cross member.
Trans and Oil pan, maybe, I was told these could wait as they are tucked up higher than the TC which is your high center pivot point.

Well year two saw another $500-$700 and I haven't got to my lift yet. Did get a good deal on a spare set of used tires & wheels (Thanks Jes)

Decide what you want to do with your XJ and then decide how high. Go with Rubicon Express or Old Man Emu. I found used 2.5"OME springs on the internet for $200 from a guy who got inchitis and got a new OME Steering Stabilizer on Ebay for $50 shipped. I still can't afford the shocks or SYE and a trip to Moab, so if I get time off...Moab wins. I also believe I can resist inchitis so 2.5" will be plenty.

About trails, I haven't been to Mendecino in a long time, used to go every other weekend. There were miles of trails in the Lake Pillsbury watershed and you were left alone if you stayed on the marked trails. Take 101 north to Ukiah and 1st exit north of town take Hwy 20 east about 5 miles. Turn left on the road to Potter Valley after crossing the Russian River feed into Lake Mendecino. When entering Potter Valley take a right at the general store and up over the mountain to the old saw mill on the Eel river, turn right on either side of the river and proceed to Pillsbury. The trails here are clearly marked and camping is good. I used to leave San Francisco at 6am and be at Pillsbury by 9:30 towing an old m151. Wheel until 5-6PM and then drive home a lot slower getting home between 9-10.

Make sure your vehicle is prepared and have a travel buddy. One time another guy wanted to stay a little longer than the rest of us. His power wagon slid off the road and was stuck up the side of Hull Mtn for two days before he was found (alive). Let me know when your going and I'll tag along, time permitting. I wanted to do a scouting trip there around now and possibly organize a NAXJA ride for spring for those vehicles that are just above stock, but free time is not existent these days.
agian welcome,
Tom

Back