• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tow Rigs

razdrvr

NAXJA Forum User
What are you guys using to tow your junk around. I'm in the market for a new to me truck, and just want to see what everyone else is using. The half ton GMC does ok but I'm thinking it's time to step up to a 3/4 ton oil burner.

I am using a 1/2 ton dodge ram to tow my xj and 18ft trailer around. Does alrite for me. If your interested i mite sell you my dodge.

'06 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD 4X4. Overkill but it was what I wanted and does what I ask of it very easily. I've been very happy with it.

I'm thinking I might go with an older Dodge CTD, 96-98. Don't need to invest $50k in a tow rig. It would be nice though.

If I do decide to upgrade it will be to a diesel rig.

i use my 99 Dodge Ram 1500 to flat tow (with a rv style tow bar) my jeep. when i moved from salt lake city utah to phoenix az, i ended up getting just 7.9 MPG though one stretch. the power on the hills suck to even with the 5.9L engine but having a real crappy gear ratio for towing- dont quite remember what it is off hand. i plan on buying an oil burning dodge for my tow rig in a year or two.

I use a 98 12v CTD

smoke1.jpg

razdrvr said:
I'm thinking I might go with an older Dodge CTD, 96-98. Don't need to invest $50k in a tow rig. It would be nice though.

I wouldn't invest in a $50k tow rig either.

I'm running with this and absolutely love it. Not bad for $28k

2006 Silverado 2500HD CrewCab LB LT3, Duramax/Allison 6 Speed

i am building a totaled out 96 f250 extra cab with a 7.3L turbo power stroke, i am putting a flat bed and 100 gallon aux tank across the front of the bed along with the stock 65 gallon tanks, it will be 5th wheel capable, standard tow capable and have tool boxes, weld equipment and fab capabilities all in one, and i only have $1200 invested!! i also have a supplier for $2 a gallon bio diesel!!!:yelclap: :yelclap: :yelclap:

Does that 12v pull your XJ pretty good Mosephus? What kind of trailer are you pulling?

Illiana: How far does is lean that Ford back when you take the trailer off of the jack?

I see Explorers and Expeditions leaning back HARD like pre-runners whenever they are towing. It's pretty ugly.

Mosephus: I also notice that you have your trailer jack down for the picture. How far back is that montero leaning when you take the jack up? I notice it is leaning good with the car you have on there.

Some of these pics are scary to see. That Montero doesn't appear to be so safe with just the car on the trailer.

The topic of this thread should be changed from "Tow Rigs" to "Unsafe Tow Rigs" :)

Back