• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 Weeks later....

JeepXJ93

NAXJA Forum User
How much time when you guys said "a while" when i asked how long it would take before i should get some flex out of my new RE 3.5" superflex kit? Its been on and daily driven for about 2 weeks now and ive taken it offroad 4 times already.....there is a spot in the trails that i go to made purposely to flex...its about 3 feet tall just a little hill to climb...well, i climbed the little hill w/ my front end (swaybar connected) to try to get some flex and before i knew it...my drivers side rear tire was about 4 inches in the air....i checked my passenger side rear and it wasnt even close to tucked up into my wheelwell...there was actually about a 2" gap in between my fender flare and the top of the tire....i called DPG to find out how long it should take and he said the DT3000's i got are probably the cause but i cant see how a shock would cause my jeep to not flex...i checked my e-brake cable and that seems to be ok...i checked to see if the shocks were binding and i didnt have any trouble bolting them back in....what can the problem be??!

Good call, and then if it still doesnt flex what would you do? My old 3" kit from rusty's that i put on my 93 was flexing like there was no tomorrow the first day i had it...Is there such thing as a bad spring? (4 for that matter, front and rear doesnt flex...even when i disco my front swaybar)

I don't really see it as a problem yet. In a few months, when they have broken in and settled an inch, you may want that extra stiffness back.

It takes time to break them in. Lots of flexing. Load down the cargo area with heavy stuff (bags of gravel) next time you flex it out. do that a few times. Leave it parked in a flexed position for a while.

If you are convinced there is a problem... check your rear shackle angle. It should be raked a little rearward. Sometimes really arched springs pull the shackle in too far keeping it from doing it's job effectively. Make sure the shackle bolts aren't too tight either. Make sure your DS isn't bottoming out in the TCase either.

Hope it helps

If it still doesn't then i would havta say that the rear leafs are just that stiff and will get better over time/????????

You have a slip yoke that goes into the t-case right??

Yea...i had a performance jeep shop do that part....they installed the SYE and tom wood d/s. How would i know if the d/s is bottoming out?

hmm...ill check it out in the a.m....too tired...to be continued..thanks guys

Wait, you tried to flex it with the swaybar connected, or did I just misread that? You need to disconnect the swaybar man... otherwise it's not going to flex for anything in the world because the swaybar is preventing it.

However, if you're removed the rear swaybar and you're purposefully trying to keep the front stiff to make the rear springs flex, then I would do as others have said and put some weight in the back and try it again. New leaf packs can be kind of stiff, especially RE packs... they'll settle in time and start giving you some flex.

Last edited:
yea i left the front swaybar connected to force more on the rear....i've never disconnected the rear swaybar though...didnt have to on my 93 and it flexed great. I'm on my way out to take the shocks off to see if that makes a difference and then i'm going to the shop that installed the SYE and d/s b/c i still feel vibes around 60.

JeepXJ93 said:
yea i left the front swaybar connected to force more on the rear....i've never disconnected the rear swaybar though...

I think that if you disconnect the front swaybar you'll have better results in the rear: I remember seeing a series of pics in an article that discussed benefits of front swaybar disconnects. In any case, I don't remember the details but it demonstrated how the disconnected front swaybar improved flex overall (including rear).

I also noticed that you said you have the rear swaybar connected as well? Well that will be limiting your droop and flex big time.

Anyways disconnect the rear and test on that hill, then disconnect front and test on that hill and report the results then. I wouldn't bother playing with the shocks till that was done (plus you can measure them out as to how much length they got on them and what they're supposed to be extended and compressed to get an idea of how much they will affect travel).

Ok i just went outside and made a little hill w/ the pile of snow at the end of the street, disconnected the front and then gave it a shot...deffinatly better in the front (obviously) but nothing changed in the rear...do they make quick disco's for the rear swaybar???

JeepXJ93 said:
Ok i just went outside and made a little hill w/ the pile of snow at the end of the street, disconnected the front and then gave it a shot...deffinatly better in the front (obviously) but nothing changed in the rear...do they make quick disco's for the rear swaybar???
You don't really need the rear swaybar: up country models came with no rear swaybars from factory.

really? its my daily driver, so a rear swaybar doesnt have as much affect as the front? B/c i deff. notice a diff w/ the front disco'ed while im on the road. I'll try it for a while though and see what happens....

JeepXJ93 said:
really? its my daily driver, so a rear swaybar doesnt have as much affect as the front? B/c i deff. notice a diff w/ the front disco'ed while im on the road. I'll try it for a while though and see what happens....

yes, keep front, dump rear.

I'm running the RE 4.5" superflex kit and it took a long time for them to "settle"(i.e. still stiff after many months). I've loaded the back down with tools, hi-lift, spare 31" tire, and other random junk and drove it every day for 1 month. Not much of a difference. I'm running OME shocks so I don't think it's a shock issue.

I took out my rear sway bar when I installed some up-country springs from a buddies jeep. This was before the RE kit and his Jeep didn't have one to start with.

Long winded but I would say remove the rear sway bar and try it again. If you are looking for the RE spring to be as flexy as the Rusty's springs then you are going to be let down.

Later,
Rough

Ur telling me that a kit that costs 3 times as much as rusty's isnt going to flex as good?!!! I thought the more you pay the better the kit and by better i thought it meant better offroad quality?

Ur telling me that a kit that costs 3 times as much as rusty's isnt going to flex as good?!!! I thought the more you pay the better the kit and by better i thought it meant better offroad quality?

(sorry about the double response...)

What you learned today...more expensive isn't always better.

In this case you DID get a better product they just need time and for you to get the rest of the rig straightened out.

HTH

Back