• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport

mbarker9

NAXJA Forum User
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4
$4500 obo

Pictures can we seen at:

http://s749.photobucket.com/user/mabarker9/library/1999%20Jeep%20Cherokee%20Sport

156,6xx miles

I’m going to give you the entire history of this car that I know of. I bought this from one of my father’s client’s secretaries 3 years ago. It was in really sad shape then, still kind of is. While she had it, it was broken into twice, and stolen once. The thief’s ran it into a parked Mercedes 2 blocks away because they couldn’t figure out the headlights. She had it fixed, changed the alternator in 2008 and it kept going. She didn’t do much else besides tires, battery, and an exhaust hanger

I bought “Kelly” in the fall of 2010 with 121,000 miles
She immediately got a whole new suspension.

This included a:
3.5 Rubicon express super ride lift kit (dec 2010)
Matching track bar (dec 2010)
16 inch alloy Jeep wheels – Lighter then the stock steel wheels.
1.5 inch wheel spacers
New 265/75/16 BFG A/T KO2 (dec 2010) – only about 15k miles on these. Still look new.
Upgraded injectors – causes better gas millage and power.
HID headlights w/ Halos (spring 2012) – With real projectors, 100% legal. From The Retrofit Source here in Atlanta.
New hub assemblies (spring 2012)
New front calibers and pads (spring 2011)
Rear break upgrade/conversion to disk (spring 2011)
Replaced and balanced rear drive shaft
Fixed front Drive shaft
Overhead console
New right front window motor (still kind of makes noise when going up)
Tint over over the factory tint

New battery (jan)
SYE (feb)
LED taillights and side markers (march)
Replaced left front hub (june)
Cooling system flush (june)
A/C refrigerant charge (june)
New power steering pump, high pressure hose and pully (august)
I recently put some dressing on the belt and bought a new belt, just haven’t put it on yet. (sept)
Inspected the rear diff and filled with fresh fluid (Nov 2013)
New Electrical fan (Nov 2013)

The jeep currently has a sound system in it with
3 - 12in JL w1v2
600 watt kenwood amp
Headunit has tuning controls and two aux inputs
I have a full Brush Guard – It was removed right before the most recent pictures, but I still have it

If I get he asking price I will include the sound system and the brush guard. But I can also take them out if you don’t want them. Without the system and and the brush guard I will go a little lower

I do oil changes every 3k miles religiously and use a synthetic blend for high millage
Was last changed about 1k miles ago.
It also is wired with an alarm system with remote start but the old owner lost the remote and I never bought one. But I think it’s only like $30 or so for a new one.

I have 2 or 3 keys for the jeep. Depending on how many I can find

The bad:
This was our test jeep for projects for our other 6 jeeps. So she is far from perfect.

She is from Ohio and has extensive rocker panel rust. I was planning on just cutting them out and welding in 2x6 square tubing for rocker protection. But I also have replacement sheet metal rockers to go with the jeep.

The LEDs don’t provide the correct resistance and the blinkers hyper flash. I was planning on getting some resisters from ACE and wiring them in at some point

The A/C system has a vacuum leak and the vents will go to defrost when decelerating sometimes. (Didn’t have plans to fix, doesn’t bother me to much)

When I installed the overhead console I cut the hole to large and it shows in the back behind it. I also am missing one bracket that holds the back still. But its up there.

Strange electrical issues, the windows only work from the drivers controls, the rear right door doesn’t respond to the electric locks (kinds nice to always have a backup)

Rear truck kind of sticks when opening sometimes

Drive shafts are still a little noisy as 75+ mph (I run them 300+ miles a week just fine)

The alignment is ok but the steering wheel is off to the right a little.

The front axle has a light leak out the left tube end. Been told it needs a new seal. It slowly drips onto the front left rotor and makes the brakes squeak every once in a while when you first start driving. Goes away after 100 yards. The brakes are fine otherwise.

The exhaust muffler is rusting through and need replacing. The exhaust manifold has a small crack but I have a replacement for it.

This has been a great learner car for me and has gotten my through my 300+ miles to and from school and work every week just fine for the past 3 years. Is she a absolute joy to drive on the road. No. Will she get you there. Yes. Is she a tone of fun to run off road. Yes. I would highly recommend this for a high school or college guy to learn on. Or as a father son project, or as a off road, farm, or hunting toy.

Like I said, we have 6 other Cherokees and I am planning on buying another one. We love these things. I am just looking for a new project. I have done all the work myself so if you want to know anything else, just ask.

Michael
404-663-798

Last edited:
Back