• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque wrench

XJRN

NAXJA Forum User
I need a new torque wrench and need to torque at least 200 lbs (yoke nut). I want something that will last but not totally break the bank either. What does everyone recommend?

I bought a MAC on E-Bay for $80, 1/2 drive w/ max 250 ft/lbs. Mac/blue point/snap on/matco -- bid till ya buy! No need to be new, and the top of the line manufacturers will recalibrate them for you if needed. JM

No need to be new, and the top of the line manufacturers will recalibrate them for you if needed. JM

what he said. I would buy a used snap on and find a snap on guy to make sure its in spec for you. every one i've seen will do it for free.

what he said. I would buy a used snap on and find a snap on guy to make sure its in spec for you. every one i've seen will do it for free.

Most of the tool truck guys will check it for free but charge to recalibrate it since they have to send it off. I just talked to my snap on guy the other day and he said it takes like 3 weeks and $65 to ge it calibrated.

yes, sorry i meant they will check it for free. I would have any used torque wrench checked before using it on something important regardless of what brand it is.

Years ago, I bought a Craftsman 1/2 torque wrench with dials for NM and ft-lb readings. 25 to 250 lbs in 2lb increments. A month or so ago I checked it's accuracy on the the Snap On truck: spot on, all across the range.
Craftsman is better than it needs to be and MUCH cheaper than Snap On, Mac, Matco. Any of those three are probably a better tool : but how much quality do you need for the use you'll put it through?
I own plenty of snap-on, mac & matco tools - but I won't be buying a 1/2 torque wrench from them any time soon.

Years ago, I bought a Craftsman 1/2 torque wrench with dials for NM and ft-lb readings. 25 to 250 lbs in 2lb increments. A month or so ago I checked it's accuracy on the the Snap On truck: spot on, all across the range.
Craftsman is better than it needs to be and MUCH cheaper than Snap On, Mac, Matco. Any of those three are probably a better tool : but how much quality do you need for the use you'll put it through?
I own plenty of snap-on, mac & matco tools - but I won't be buying a 1/2 torque wrench from them any time soon.

Downside of a Sear torque wrench is its limited one year warranty. Sears measuring tools now do not have the same lifetime guarantee as their hand tools. Found this out the hard way when a near new torque broke after a couple of years.
It ain't my father's Sears anymore.
Worked at LAX for thirty years and miss the access to the calibrated torque wrench testing gauges, available in most aircraft repair shops.

After I had a Craftsman torque wrench literally disintegrate after just under 2 years, I won't be buying Craftsman again. Instead I bought a CDI torque wrench. Same company that makes Snap-On, 1/2 - 1/3 of the price. Only a 12 month warranty but the build quality is just as good.

Instead I bought a CDI torque wrench. Same company that makes Snap-On, 1/2 - 1/3 of the price. Only a 12 month warranty but the build quality is just as good.

That's what we use at work on our chippers where wrong torque could lead to really bad carnage. They make Snap-On torque wrench as stated without the Snap-On name price mark up. They make one with 10 foot handle, weighs 40 pounds and goes up to 2000ft-lbs. If I win a powerball/mega-millions jackpot I'm getting 1 to hang on my mega garage that I would have built just for the WOW factor:D.

If you can find a time machine and go back, thats a good option, but otherwise crapsman torque wrenchesfall apart way too easily

Precision Instruments. Snap On use to use them before they went with CDI. I purchased the M3R250F 50-250 ft lbs, 1/2" drive. Its a clicker type. All metal construction, at least externally. No plastic handle, no plastic lock collar. The collar locks down, you adjust it then push up to lock it in. Their split beam wrenches are also very good.

I picked up a Kobalt 1/2 drive torque wrench from Lowe's a few weeks back. Goes up to 200ft-lbs (which I've noticed a lot of budget 1/2 inchers don't anymore.... and we need to get to 175 for the unit bearings). Seems to be a good solid wrench, ran about 90 bucks.

I picked up a Kobalt 1/2 drive torque wrench from Lowe's a few weeks back. Goes up to 200ft-lbs (which I've noticed a lot of budget 1/2 inchers don't anymore.... and we need to get to 175 for the unit bearings). Seems to be a good solid wrench, ran about 90 bucks.
Thinking about picking one of these up tomorrow. How's yours holding up? Opinion now that you've used it some?

I got a great deal on a 1/2" Cornwell TW at my local Pawn Shop. Picked it up for $55.00

Cornwell is really underrated. I have an older ratchet set that I prefer over my Mac or Snap-On set. Their prices are really good too.

Borwnline metal works TQ wrench?

Thinking about picking one of these up tomorrow. How's yours holding up? Opinion now that you've used it some?

It may or may not be the same wrench, but I had a 1/2" Kobalt that I bought about two years ago fall apart on me recently. Went to adjust it and the handle basically fell apart. I just ordered a Precision Instruments C3FR250F (split-beam style) for 150, which is only about $30 - $40 more than I payed for the Kobalt IIRC.

YMMV.

Holding up great so far. Used it for unit bearings, the bracket for my track bar and a few other parts. still feels nice and tight

good unit for the money, and something you can pick up right now at a store instead of having to wait for shipping.

Precision Instruments builds them for Snap-On, if anyone hasn't said it yet. Same wrench, much cheaper.
Also, the Craftsman I bought in 2005 still works really well.

EDIT: HAH! I already posted in this thread...

Precision Instruments builds them for Snap-On, if anyone hasn't said it yet. Same wrench, much cheaper.
PI made for SnapOn in the past, but haven't since 2003. PI is USA made. SnapOn's supplier is now CDI. A bit about PI: http://www.europeancarweb.com/auto_tools/0403ec_tool/#ixzz1lcXYiKRJ
I have a PI 1/2" drive and I love it.
Also, the Craftsman I bought in 2005 still works really well.
My 3/8" inch lb wrench is a Craftsman. While it works well I have a little of a problem with the locking ring moving while adjusting. The grip and locking ring are also plastic. Now that I know about CDI and PI I wouldn't buy another one like that.

My 3/8" Low ft lb one is by GearWrench. Its not a bad wrench, but not on the quality of PI. Its similar to an old KD wrench I have. The handle and lock is steel with a rubber over grip.

Back