• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tent/Gear Recommendation

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
When I left California I sadly left all my camping gear behind with my family. As I'm getting back into this Jeep thing, I need to get some new gear.

Most of my previous gear was purchased while I was a Boy Scout from REI. I loved the Half Dome 2 tent that I had, and it was flawless for 10+ years. However, knowing that REI isn't a big supporter of wheeling, I'd rather buy from another company- if I can get something of similar quality.

So where should I look? Bass Pro? Academy? Somewhere else? I'd prefer to avoid the Target/Wal Mart Coleman gear as I've never been impressed with the quality of it.

Thanks!

I got a Magellan "4" man tent from Academy about 5 years ago or so. I use a blue tarp as a footprint and make sure to stake it down well. I've been happy with it for the $50 I have into the setup. I have used it in some light rain and in 40+ MPH wind and it hasn't collapsed or left me wet. I haven't used it through a proper storm though.

It is definitely not for backpacking but its nice for two people on a queen air mattress or a couple of cots. It's also perfect to "loan" to a friend since its cheap enough that it doesn't matter if they tear it.

I'll bring it to ROM, but if its warm enough I'll be in my hammock.

Can't go wrong with an MSR Hubba Hubba. I've used them in the pnw for 10 years now, they're my go to tent. I also have an REI half dome 2, and I have no qualms with it. Just go with quality, then you won't regret it in years to come.

Msr?

I'm switching to hammocks. I've got a Hennessy, and am contemplating a Warbonnet blackbird XLC with the big tarp. 2 reasons, first you don't need to find level ground, and they're so damn comfortable. Oh, and the tarp makes for a nice shelter when it's raining. Weathered a storm at swamp lake chilling under the hennessy hex fly and stayed very dry.

Do some reasarch, I would tie the hammock/tarp off to a tree and the jeep. If you have multiple rigs you could tie off to those. I'm also thinking about adding some sort of outrigger setup to the jeep to use it as both ends to tie off.

Mark

I'm switching to hammocks. I've got a Hennessy, and am contemplating a Warbonnet blackbird XLC with the big tarp. 2 reasons, first you don't need to find level ground, and they're so damn comfortable. Oh, and the tarp makes for a nice shelter when it's raining. Weathered a storm at swamp lake chilling under the hennessy hex fly and stayed very dry.

Do some reasarch, I would tie the hammock/tarp off to a tree and the jeep. If you have multiple rigs you could tie off to those. I'm also thinking about adding some sort of outrigger setup to the jeep to use it as both ends to tie off.

Mark

I hope you're not an active sleeper. I have seen people flop themselves out of hammocks in the middle of the night.

on the other hand, I hope you're an active sleeper .!.:D.!.

Back