• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

moab trip reports/pix ??

MMIXJ

NAXJA Forum User
okay you lucky dogs, rub it in and let's see those photos and hear some stories...

damage reports are good too.
;)

Terry "whose ID is *still* not red even though i joined NAXJA over a weekago"
:(

I'll have my pics up tonight-prolly, have a test tomarrow that I need to study fer. :laugh:

Trip went good, though I wasn't locked and couldnt run the tough ones, I guess I made out allright.

Ran Hells Revenge and Kane Creek.

Was all lined up to run PSM, but my fuel filter went out on the 1st 100 ft of the trail so I decided to go fix it then try and hook up with somebody, found some nice folks in TJ's and ran Kane Creek.

:cheers:

Missed seeing ya out there Andrew! Too bad our schedules didn't mesh. Several of us had a blast during the first part of the week.

Got to Slick Rock CG Sunday afternoon and found Danno. He brought a friend with a CJ who had twisted a rear driveshaft. Several of us helped him salvage the end yoke by grinding and air hammering the thing off the twisted tube. Kejtar provided a stock XJ front driveshaft and Monday morning Danno and friend went to Moab 4X4 Outfitters to have the shaft cut and CJ yolk welded in place. Worked out well from what I hear.

Monday, I led a group of about 12 on Cliff Hanger. Everyone had nicely equipped rigs and the trail provided some fun 'wheeling. I was surprised that no one in the group had ever run this trail before. Was fun having so many newbies! No breakage and only a couple of "oops" with off camber obstacles. Beautiful weather and views!

Tuesday, I led a group of 11 on Steel Bender. Again, a nice group of well equipped rigs. One guy had a fully open rig, but really did a great job of chosing his lines. I don't think he had to take a strap at all. Nice group shots were taken on the sandstone fin. Got some good "white knuckle" reactions at the big drop off near the cattle gate. Rabbit (Jay) had a left front axle joint crap out and had to swap it below the 3-way playground, but other than that, no issues. Great time and the weather toyed with raining on us but never poured.

Wednesday, I led a group of about 13 on Hell's Revenge. Beautiful weather and a nice assortment of different rigs. We were very pleased to see that Hell's Gate was open and marked as part of the trail! I think 8 guys decided to run this part of the trail. After I ran it, I spotted the rest down. The climb up the other side provided some great wheel stands! Matt (Scrappy) slipped into a notch in the middle and layed the pass. side onto the wall, but suffered no damage. Rick Graham took some "interesting" lines all the way up and decided to punctuate his run by flopping over at the top, onto his driver's side. A mashed bumper end cap and some scrapes to his mirror were all that was evident after getting him rubber-side-down again. The hot tubs had some water in them from the earlier rains, but the easy tub made a fun challenge - everyone in the group gave in and drove it! Everyone made it easily! We then moved down to Micky's Hot Tub. The bottom was dry, but there was alot of oil spread around. After spreading some sand over the oil, Rabbit, Michael LeClair and I decided to give it a try. Dunno what message the XJ gods were trying to send, but as Rabbit and I drove around to get into position to enter the tub, we BOTH had right front axle joints go bad! There should be some pics surfacing soon showing both of us positioned at the edge of the Tub swapping out the shafts. After the repairs, Rabbit and I made our attempts, but couldn't get traction. Michael hammered the go-pedal and pulled out of the Tub! We all stopped to look at "Escalator", but no one wanted to attempt it (don't blame 'em) and then everyone handled Tip Over Challenge with little effort. We all off the trail pretty early and there was a suggestion to check out "Potato Salad Hill", so off we went. "Kid4Lyf", Michale LeClair and I gave it a try - we all succeeded! Although, I think Michael was trying to launch his rig to the moon! Hit the top hard and fast.

That was a great trip!

Oh man what a great trip. My first time in Moab was awsome. Followed Troy around all 3 days and he made my trip well worth it. I pushed the new mods on the Jeep hard and everything worked flawless, man I love being locked.
While Rabbit fixed his shaft on Steelbender Troy, Remi (kejtar) and myself took several different lines on the 3way obsticles. I made my wife a little upset with about 4 or so foot of air under the front drivers side tire. Jared Payne should be emailing that pic to me so I can add it to the albums. I think my Daughter wins the youngest jeeper award, 2 1/2 months old and she rode all three trails, although mom made her get out on some of the hairier obsticles. Any way thanks to Troy for leading 3 days of awsome wheeling and sorry I missed hooking up for some wheeling Andrew, by the way thanks for the D44 it worked great.

Here is a link to my albums.
http://www.imagestation.com/mypictures/albums/index.html

YELLAHEEP said:
Tuesday, I led a group of 11 on Steel Bender. Again, a nice group of well equipped rigs. One guy had a fully open rig, but really did a great job of chosing his lines. I don't think he had to take a strap at all. Nice group shots were taken on the sandstone fin. Got some good "white knuckle" reactions at the big drop off near the cattle gate. Rabbit (Jay) had a left front axle joint crap out and had to swap it below the 3-way playground, but other than that, no issues. Great time and the weather toyed with raining on us but never poured.
Where are the pics of three legged Justin?

jrsxj98 said:
Jared Payne should be emailing that pic to me so I can add it to the albums. .

Need coffee Remi? Dork..... :roflmao:

YELLAHEEP said:
Missed seeing ya out there Andrew!

Indeed! Hopefully next year I will be able to shift scheduling around with school to allow me to go for most of the days...

Sounds like yah had fun! :cheers:

As well as being there more next year, Im hoping to be actually locked next time... :cry: :dunce:

:D :cheers:

hjeepxj said:
I'll have my pics up tonight-prolly, have a test tomarrow that I need to study fer. :laugh:

Trip went good, though I wasn't locked and couldnt run the tough ones, I guess I made out allright.

Ran Hells Revenge and Kane Creek.

Was all lined up to run PSM, but my fuel filter went out on the 1st 100 ft of the trail so I decided to go fix it then try and hook up with somebody, found some nice folks in TJ's and ran Kane Creek.

Wellll, crap. Wish'd we'd known that was the problem, I had a spare filter. Was a long trip, with Bob 'who needs ball joints' taking a (cough) break on the way back. Heh..lotta fun, though. That was the ONLY moderate trail I got to do, so..guess it works out. Saw some nice scenery, and I'll try and post some pics later in the week of PS, Gemini and Fins and Things..you prolly don't want to see 3 days worth of the inside of a shop :p

poomba said:
Wellll, crap. Wish'd we'd known that was the problem, I had a spare filter.

DANG! Well, at that time we hadn't a clue what it was, and didnt want it to break down on the trail, so I guess it worked out, at least its fixed and I got to run a trail that day.

Here are pix of Thursday's Gold Bar Rim and Golden Spike

http://www.4x4getaways.com/GoldBarRim.htm
The trip was awesome. WE had about a dozen rigs. Can't remember the name but we had one flop on a no name obstacle. While I was replacing a fubar'd drag link at Double Whammy, OkieTerry had a close call. He was spotting when the rig trying to climb busted a drive shaft and half of the shaft came sailing out from under the jeep and went over his right shoulder about 6 inches from his head.

Here are pix of Friday's Cliffhanger

http\\www.4x4getaways.com/Cliffhanger.htm
Had a ball. It is not as scary or hard as everybody makes out. I guess we just get used to shelf roads here in Colorado. RangerRick popped a right front shaft heading home on the last obstacle but it was a fairly straightforward pull up and over to swap his shaft.

I will post the pix of Kane Creek later. I lead the trail and it was the easiest trail we ran the whole time, but I did the most damage on it. I was trying a hard line on the first obstacle and it bucked and dropped the rear in a hole. It came down so hard on the skids that my windshield broke and I have a .25" gap in my back door and front fender. Haven't had time to see what I have to push back out yet. Sure glad its not my daily driver anymore.

Saturday,Sunday, Monday on the Hole in the Rock and Rincon with Alan and Jerod without a scatch.
Tuesday, Steel Bender lots of fun, great wheeling.
Wenesday, Rose Garden, what a scenic trail from the start at Hwy 128 up Fisher valley to the end at the Dewey bridge.
Thursday, Goldbar Rim & THE Sike. Bent my front license plate at the Sike (1st damage), Jeep stalled in The Body Snatcher and rolled back denting the right front fender and messing up the headlight bezel.
Friday, Cliff Hanger, on the 1st up hill rock, scatch left rear panel & removed tail light from XJ. Along the way bent up front skid plate, tcase skid plate, right & left ends of the rear bumper. On the last step before the parking lot and out I broke the right front axle joint and had to be straped out. 1st time for the 91 XJ.
Saturday, I backed out of Pritchert, fixing u-joint.
THANKS to trail leaders, Alan, Troy, Tarry, & Brent for thier great spotting and to Tom & Dennis for thier help on the trail fix and extra parts. Out of pocket repairs and paint should be around $250
What a great trip. A blast!

old_man said:
I will post the pix of Kane Creek later. I lead the trail and it was the easiest trail we ran the whole time, but I did the most damage on it. I was trying a hard line on the first obstacle and it bucked and dropped the rear in a hole. It came down so hard on the skids that my windshield broke and I have a .25" gap in my back door and front fender. Haven't had time to see what I have to push back out yet. Sure glad its not my daily driver anymore.

Geez Tom. Maybe you need to add a couple windshields and your portapower to your trail fix supplies. :D I think Tom needs to get an award for most damaged windshields in Moab.

Better watch it boy, I know where you live. If you get a chance stop by and see how I bent the body so there is a half inch gap in the door frame.

Back