• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Parking brake lever operating rod

SPSERG

NAXJA Forum User
I was trying to adjust my parking brake today. When I started to turn on the operating rod it sheared off. Has anyone ever replaced one of these before? I dont want to have to replace the whole lever, thats still in good shape. Also, if anyone has a schematic of how that lever/operating rod is set up I would appreciate it.

The rod may still be serviced by the dealer,I needed one for an 87 and the rod was not serviced only a whole lever assmbly ($80 ).
What I did was to remove the rod,weld a piece of stock on and re-thread.I did reuse the large combination nut and added a new lock nut.The threads were metric,but not sure of the pitch.
Wayne

SPSERG said:
I was trying to adjust my parking brake today. When I started to turn on the operating rod it sheared off. Has anyone ever replaced one of these before? I dont want to have to replace the whole lever, thats still in good shape. Also, if anyone has a schematic of how that lever/operating rod is set up I would appreciate it.

If there is a part of the rod left, (in other words, it didn't sheared off at the mounting point), get the followings:

- an 8mm x 0.125 all-thread
- some nuts for the above, washers etc.
- a connecting nut for the above

Then do this:

rod.jpg

This will extend your rod enough to reach the bracket where the cables mount.

Don't hesitate to come back if you have questions.

Rgds
----------
John SV1CEC

Its often times called a rod coupling as well. Most hardware stores should carry them.

I found everything I needed to adapt the above at ACE Hardware; you may have to wander the bins by yourself though as the hired help isn't wont to hang around looking for a $0.90 part. I was going to refer you to http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/dana44.html for the thread pitch and photos, but it appears someone neglected to upload the writeup after completing the parking brake install...:D I'll get to that in a few days, I hope.

joecool said:
Where did you get the connecting nut??? I cant find one at any of my local hardware stores. Thanks.

Local hardware store, but I can't be of more help, I live in Athens, Greece.

Happy New Year to all.

Back