• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1991 2dr 2wd Build

So, this is where my work begins. The live axle is under the vehicle, the new upper control arms are already installed, but that is it. I had no idea how to adjust the control arms to the correct location. I found some info online on a similar kit. I took off one of the upper arms to see what it was set at, and it jived with the info I had found. So, I adjusted the lowers accordingly in hopes it was right.

mHLARPc.jpg

I installed the springs, shocks, calipers, brake rotors, brake pads, brake lines hoping it all made sense as I went along. The gentleman that was supposed to do the work does this type of work all the time. I do have a lot of automotive knowledge, but this was a jumble of mix match parts that I had to hope worked. So far so good...

LP9gXz9.jpg

Once I got the front all sorted out I started on the back. I had to remove the old dana 35 axle and install the Chysler 8.25. Also, installed the add a leaf from the Zone kit. Brake parts I ordered in worked!

9N6eR4r.jpg

I did have a bit of a issue trying to find a rear brake line that would work. I needed one right away and everyone was a week or two out. I finally found a Doorman Part that would work.

uDGXzQa.jpg

Installed.

a6GNCOf.jpg

Next was getting the 5 speed and transfer case installed. I got the 2wd transmission out. This is where I came into my first big issue. The 4.0 in the Jeep was the early pilot bearing hole size and the transmission going in uses the later sized pilot bearing size. Took me a bit to figure this one out. Finally, I ordered in a 1973 pilot bushing for a CJ5. This bearing, however, is a bit hard to come by with all the shortages out there now. I finally found a lot of 5 which was going to take over a week to get. Later I found 2 more a day out so I ordered those. Now I have 6 pilot bushings I hope I won't ever need.

I made myself a pilot bearing installer since I did not want to mess up the bushing trying to pound it in with just a hammer.

mfT0zEu.jpg

I really was not looking forward to removing the driver seat and pulling back the carpet to install the 4x4 shifter bracket and shifter. Luckily, I was able to get the 4x4 shifter installed with some help of a ratcheting end wrench.

e4zMLEe.jpg

And I stumbled upon this!

aHNmJZp.jpg

Oh, thank you! No pulling out the seat and carpet!!!

I got the transmission and transfer case in. Installed the drive shafts. Installed the new shifter boot.

Vseqpt7.jpg

And I was ready to go. Just needed a alignment... Or so I thought.

Wgbassu.jpg

Happy to see this is moving along.

Drop me a line if you need a hand.

I went to get the alignment done and it turned out it had two bad ball joints on one side. Also, some of the steering sockets were shot too. Just when I thought I was done with all this...

I figured I would just replace it all. So, I installed new ball joints on both sides and all new steering for a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I then I did a driveway alignment.

Took it in the next weekend for a real alignment and they said I had it so close they did not need to align it.

Been driving it for a couple weeks now and it is driving great. Looking forward to it's first 4x4 adventure now...

I did pick up a winch on Black Friday. Should be here this Wednesday. I also, picked up a DIY front winch bumper for it as well. Now I hope to get my welder running again. I have been looking for a brush guard that I can mod to fit the bumper. I have my eye on one now. I have some comms equipment to install. Looking forward to putting it through some tests next year.

I have a HAM license, but I will probably only install the CB and GRMS units I got. I have only used HAM on trail once. The higher powered GRMS units seem to be replacing that need.

Back