• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HDR Christmas Sunset from Brick, NJ

GhostDakota

NAXJA Forum User
Since it's not Jeep related.. I figured I'd put it here..

Nikon D2x, 18-70mm lens, ISO 100, Bracket of 5 photos, each 1 EV apart, Photomatix:

442706375_Barwf-L.jpg

Thats an awesome picture man.. Nothing like a good sunset pic... great work!

Thanks all :)

Excellent picture indeed :thumbup: Although, for an HDR it seems a little underexposed. I'm by no means an expert, but I thought HDR's were supposed to remove all shadows from the picture. --Any Thoughts?

Excellent picture indeed :thumbup: Although, for an HDR it seems a little underexposed. I'm by no means an expert, but I thought HDR's were supposed to remove all shadows from the picture. --Any Thoughts?
And it starts...again.
LMAO!

lol HDR's are completely user controlled with Tone Mapping. I Tone Mapped it so there were some silhouettes as I personally like that look ;-)

nice pic, where was that at? I'm from Brick

Hey. It was on the new Mantoloking Road Bridge, over the bay, just west of 35. It was taken from the fishing pier thing, which is the old portion of road still there from the smaller bridge that used to cross the water.

I think I like it better that way as well. Most HDR pictures look a bit too cartoonish for my taste, but I assumed that was the point. The colors turned out rich, but it still looks realistic. Good work.

Thanks landmark. The purpose of an HDR is not the cartoonish look. The purpose is actually to bring out the full Dynamic Range of a photograph. It basically pulls the lowlights, midtones, and highlights from the multiple exposures and places them together in 1 photo. That's why the dark typically is NOT dark.

As I said before though, everything is completely adjustable once you tone map the image. It's user preference. Some people really love that cartoonish look. I think it's alright. I really prefer the subtle differences in an HDR versus extreme, almost fake (cartoonish), photos.

Back