• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4Lo brick wall

XJerome

NAXJA Forum User
i got my first xj a few weeks ago and im still pretty noobish.95 sport auto np231 30/35 4.5 rustys 33's

i went to rescue my buddys tj that was swamped at 12:30 am on a weeknight of all times......i ended up swamped and full of water also .:smsoap:
had to push her harder than i wanted too.i was supposed to be in bed.anyways now what seems like my front seal on the t-case is squeeking. now the part that scares me...i pulled up to the gas pump and decided to put in 4lo and see what happens. i creeped about 5 feet and CRUNCH!! like i freakin hit a brick wall!
shifted back out and went home.2 hi seems fine exept the squeek and it didnt do it again in the driveway when i tried(4lo) all my ujoints seem fine (all but rear of t-case and front diff are spicers and those are good right?)small amout of play on front shaft.1/8 inch i suppose. i have all weekend and about 250$ to work it out. talk to me guys....somthings is not good.

ggcsa-outlaw said:
i pulled up to the gas pump and decided to put in 4lo and see what happens. i creeped about 5 feet and CRUNCH!! like i freakin hit a brick wall!

You mean after the recovery, at a gas station, you tried this?

Your 231 won't like that, doesn't mean anything's wrong with it. You should only engage the transfer case on a loose surface: gravel, dirt, snow, whatever. On a solid surface, like say a gas station parking lot, it can bind up if the axles want to turn at slightly different speeds, and the tires can't slip to make up the difference.

Try to find a dirt road or gravel drive, and try it again...

Robert

Robert 771 said:
You mean after the recovery, at a gas station, you tried this?

Your 231 won't like that, doesn't mean anything's wrong with it. You should only engage the transfer case on a loose surface: gravel, dirt, snow, whatever. On a solid surface, like say a gas station parking lot, it can bind up if the axles want to turn at slightly different speeds, and the tires can't slip to make up the difference.

Try to find a dirt road or gravel drive, and try it again...

Robert

Yeah, but it wouldn't feel like hitting a brick wall. It would just make the tires squeak and stuff. And it only happens when you turn. So if you were going strait nothing should happen. It seriously sounds like you broke something inside. I guess the only way to find out is to open up your T case.

He might've just moved the t-case linkage, that will make 4Lo pop out of gear and make a big banging sound as it pops back into Neutral.

it already does not like to stay in 4lo.and i think it may have popped out. i sure hope thats it. but it STOPPED dead in its tracks.is it normal for it to stop like that when it pops out? i wasnt even really giving it gas kinda just rolling.

Last edited:
ggcsa-outlaw said:
it already does not like to stay in 4lo.and i think it may have popped out. i sure hope thats it. but it STOPPED dead in its tracks.is it normal for it to stop like that when it pops out? i wasnt even really giving it gas kinda just rolling.

Yes, it will stop, or at least slow down, depending on speed, if it slips out of gear.

Adjust linkage and report back.

And fix the leaking seal, change the fluids, ect...

sheeks175 said:
Yeah, but it wouldn't feel like hitting a brick wall. It would just make the tires squeak and stuff. And it only happens when you turn. So if you were going strait nothing should happen. It seriously sounds like you broke something inside. I guess the only way to find out is to open up your T case.

Search for driveline bind or wind up.

Mine doesnt like being in 4wd on hard surfaces, even when going straight. It wasn't an issue until I regeared.

IslanderOffRoad said:
Search for driveline bind or wind up.

Mine doesnt like being in 4wd on hard surfaces, even when going straight. It wasn't an issue until I regeared.

The only thing that makes the drive lines bind or whatever your talking about is because there is the front and rear shafts are locked together. A AWD vechile has a limited slip or what have u in the T case so it allows slip inbetween the front and rear shafts. And the only time that the lengths you are traveling differ inbetween your two axles is when turning or if you have unevenly worn tires.

sheeks175 said:
...when turning or if you have unevenly worn tires...

...or running slightly different tire pressures, or running the same pressure with different loads front-to-rear, or any number of other oddball reasons.

Locking a 231 on pavement is a bad idea, period. It can, and does, bind up...

Really.

Robert

Back