• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fabbing rear tire carrier bracket, have Q's

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90 XJ and I have the OEM AMC style rear tire carrier and the only 2 pieces of the puzzle I don't have are the inside bumper bracket that goes behind the bumper corner and the locking plate.

I have an idea to get arround not having these. The bumper is pretty sturdy to begin with so why not add a piece of 1/4" thick steel that goes the hole width of the bumper and is tall as the flat section. Secure it every 6-8 inches accross the top& bottom w/grade 8 hardware(because I have no welder access) then drill the 2 holes for the lock latch and the holes for the right side mount and use grade 8 hardware there too.

Does this sound like it should work since the load will be spread out over the entire length of the bumper, or will it be alot weaker than the OEM setup?

I can show pics of my plan if the description thru anyone off.

Is yours the one that swings from the rear bumper or the one that swings from both the rear bumper and up on the side of the body?

I bought the add on swing out carrier from Jeep for my '96 about 5 years ago and I think I still have the installation manual. I could scan it and email it to you.

PM me with your email address and I will have a look see in my pile if you are interested.

Tom

Back