• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tire carrier hinge

joshbish

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to fab my own rear bumper & tire carrier, but I'm having trouble finding a hinge for the TC. I've searched and found plenty of hinges if I was going to put the TC on top of the bumper, but I'm going to put it on the side of the bumper like C4x4FAb does:

xj_tire_carrier.jpg

Any ideas on where I could find something like this? Thanks.

uhh yeah. they use basically the same hinge only it is sandwiched between metal tabs.....Ill refrain from the smart a$$ comments.

You could also use some UHDP or Delrin and make your own hinge.Thats how Warn does theirs!

jrsxj98 said:
Ill refrain from the smart a$$ comments.

I guess I should too.

Actually, if you know how to make that hinge work with what I'm trying to do let me know, because I actually have that exact same hinge but couldn't figure it out. The only thing I could think of is to saw off the bottom half of it, but that's as far as I got before my brain took a break.

joshbish said:
I guess I should too.

Actually, if you know how to make that hinge work with what I'm trying to do let me know, because I actually have that exact same hinge but couldn't figure it out. The only thing I could think of is to saw off the bottom half of it, but that's as far as I got before my brain took a break.

That hinge won't work. He's mistaken. As far as what would work... I think you're going to have to make your own. The first thing that comes to mind is the "hinge" that Beezil made for the axle end of his wishbone. I can't find my pic of the pieces unassembled, but maybe he could dig it up for you. Other than that, you could just use some kind of plastic or brass bushing and some grease :dunno:
Billy

I used the rockstomper hinge just like your wanting to. I inserted the bottom portion into 1.5" square tubing, butt welded it in. Them put that in 2" square tubing and welded it to the side of my bumper. Works great with no rattles. The TC is flush with the bumper. You have to put alot of gussets for strength though. Hope this helps.

JeepFreak21 said:
That hinge won't work. He's mistaken.

mingo said:
I used the rockstomper hinge just like your wanting to. I inserted the bottom portion into 1.5" square tubing, butt welded it in. Them put that in 2" square tubing and welded it to the side of my bumper. Works great with no rattles. The TC is flush with the bumper. You have to put alot of gussets for strength though. Hope this helps.

The hinge will work you just have to do a little fabing. I used it on a tire care we built for my bro-inlaw's wrangler. we just used some plate, inserted the bottom through the plate, welded, cut flush and it worked great, basically we got upclose pics of the custom 4x4 and copied it......

jrsxj98 said:
The hinge will work you just have to do a little fabing. I used it on a tire care we built for my bro-inlaw's wrangler. we just used some plate, inserted the bottom through the plate, welded, cut flush and it worked great, basically we got upclose pics of the custom 4x4 and copied it......

The way he described using it is definatly not how they built the one the original poster pictured. The one he pictured is double sheer, whereas the rockstomper one (trailer spindle) is not, and doesn't need to be because of it's stong/thick and long enough to counter the leverage of the tire carrier arm.
Billy

mingo said:

You got any pictures?
Billy

BrettM said:
as suggested earlier, just use delrin or bronze bushings. or even a piece of DOM with the inside diameter of the bolt you're using.

Okay, this is what I'm thinking: I'll use 2x4 metal tubing for the swing away and then weld a 2 1/2" OD metal pipe (1/4" thick) vertically on the end of the 2x4. I'll then purchase a 2" piece of delrin rod and get a 1" hole drilled through it and just cut it down to 4" and stick it in that pipe. On the bumper I will weld a couple of tabs that will go top and bottom of the pipe on the swing away and then stick a 1" bolt through the hole thing. Sound good?

Couple of questions:
1. Will the tabs welded on the bumper be enough to hold up the swing away?
2. Is there a way to make the pipe "free float" between the tabs on the bumper so that it doesn't scrape bottom tab?
3. Can this system work grease-free?

Thanks for all the input guys.

i used pillow blocks with a polyurathane insert instead of a bearing the blocks are mounted on a tab that sicks straight out from the bumper. this way i can take out the bolts and add shims to change the angle of the swingout. I can get pictures if anyone wants so see what im talking about.

Dingo

joshbish said:
Okay, this is what I'm thinking: I'll use 2x4 metal tubing for the swing away and then weld a 2 1/2" OD metal pipe (1/4" thick) vertically on the end of the 2x4. I'll then purchase a 2" piece of delrin rod and get a 1" hole drilled through it and just cut it down to 4" and stick it in that pipe. On the bumper I will weld a couple of tabs that will go top and bottom of the pipe on the swing away and then stick a 1" bolt through the hole thing. Sound good?

Couple of questions:
1. Will the tabs welded on the bumper be enough to hold up the swing away?
2. Is there a way to make the pipe "free float" between the tabs on the bumper so that it doesn't scrape bottom tab?
3. Can this system work grease-free?

Thanks for all the input guys.
delrin does not need grease.

get the OD turned down except the very end so that you don't have the tube riding on the metal, like this:

BrettM said:

get the OD turned down except the very end so that you don't have the tube riding on the metal, like this:

perfect, thanks!

BrettM said:

Would you use a steel sleeve in-between the bolt and the delrin bushing, or would you just put the bolt right against the bushing?

Back