• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory g-tank skid question

96XJCLASSIC

NAXJA Forum User
I currently don't have a gas tank skid and was thinking about buying a used factory one, however i have a couple questions first. Can the factory skid be used in conjunction with a hitch?? Also does the factory skid used straps along with the bolts that run along the "frame" rail?? Or does it just use the bolts? If it uses straps can the factory gas tank straps be used? Sorry for all the questions.

I put a gas tank skid on from an 87 Cherokee on to my 96 but I had to modify the plastic sheild the factory used to protect the tank. Basically I ripped the plastic shield off the outer part of the tank on the outside of the straps. If I had not, the skid would not have fit. Dont know if it is like this in every case but that is what I had to do. Good Luck.

Alan

p.s. I got it from a junkyard for $3.00 so look around for a good deal

I also had to trim the plastic covering to get the skid plate to fit. When you go to get a skid plate, shop around a bit. Front and rear skid plates are “non inventoried” parts which means there is no set price, just what ever you and the junkyard agree on; $20 to $30 seems to be the going price around here. I’ve seen 2 different types of factory gas tank skid plates while I was shopping around and they may be more. The older style ones (pre ’90?) are fully enclosed and appear to be somewhat stronger. The newer style (post ’96?) ones appear to be one piece of sheet metal that has been bent to go over the tank and is open on the sides. I bought an old style fully enclosed skid and put it on my ’91. It bolts right up to the frame rails, but it’s a bit tricky if you have a class III hitch. I found it easiest to use a floor jack to get the skid in position and then bolt it up. I also had to use a small section of angle iron with holes drilled in it on each frame rail to hold every thing down. It’s not hard to do, just a little time consuming.

Back