• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1998 XJ U-Joint Part #'s - Help!

pancake

NAXJA Forum User
I went to Napa and they mentioned two different part #'s for the joints. They gave one number (forgot - sorry) for the double cardan joint on the front driveshaft and 5-153X for (x1) front driveshaft and (x2) rear driveshaft. Someone else on Naxja mentioned I just need (x5) of the 5-153X joints. I guess the only difference is that the two for the double cardan joint have the grease fitting on one of the end caps instead of the fitting on the spider itself. Those two different joints are $25 each instead of $12 each!!!

Can someone help clarify? Also, I should replace the "Ball Centering Kit" while I'm in there correct? Is this a fairly easy job? Thanks!!!!

Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

btw - 4.0 / AW4 / D35 / D30 / NP242 / ABS

Last edited:
I don't remember the part numbers but when I went to Kragen, they had couple different ones as well. They all were same size and the only difference was greasing/non greasing as well as where the grease fitting was. Of course I ended up with the one where the zerk on the grease fitting interfered with something and I had to go and swap them out. So you might want to look at your driveshaft as well as the ujoints and you should be able to see which one will work for you.
You also might want to search for it around on the forums as I think it was discussed not too long ago and someone did mention part numbers.

what are you trying to do replace all joints in both shafts. or replace a broken one or what need a little more info. if it aint broke dont' fix it.

The original joints have 146k miles. I hear clunks and such. Time to throw some new joints in there. Should I have the driveshafts balanced also? Is it needed? I think the shafts have been taken apart before and I do get some noise / vibes...but not much.

Thanks!!

If you have never rebuilt a cardigan/cv joint in a driveshaft, or seen someone do it, it isnt an easy job, with that many miles the cardigan halves will probably need replacement too.

With 146k miles, I'd suggest pulling the shaft and send it to a driveline shop. they will rebuild it and re balance it AND then you will have some kind of warrentee. You will save yourself many many headaches and lotsa time.

Oh really? I've done u-joints before but never double cardan. Hmm, are driveline shops expensive? I'm in WA now (Bothell). Anyone know of a good shop?

I replaced all u joints including the double in my 98 with tom woods u joints. It was not hard but was tedious and time consuming. There is a little hum at around 75 mph. I am going to take it to a shop and have them check it out. There is a 2000 shop manual some where on line maybe one of these links, had everything I needed to show me how to do it.

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PDFs/index.html

So should I worry much about having the driveshafts balanced? If I do have it done, they won't be balanced with the yokes attached so would I really benefit from it? Can I cause much damaged if they are not balanced well?

Thanks

pancake said:
So should I worry much about having the driveshafts balanced? If I do have it done, they won't be balanced with the yokes attached so would I really benefit from it? Can I cause much damaged if they are not balanced well?

Thanks

Well if it's not balanced you might be getting vibes from it when it's spinning.

fleet pride in tacoma is a great and cheap place to have it rebuilt.

Back