• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fire news

Joe Furlong

NAXJA Forum User
This is one to watch, it might be a while before they reopen acess even after the fire is "out". No telling what other areas (and the trails therein) might be next. And re-opening assumes that the trail itself wasn't burned, that may take years (if ever) to come back.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/psicc/fire/nr_stage3_060902.htm

All the conspiracy people please keep mum on this and spare us. We can talk about mind-control rays and foil helmets on the Non-Tech forum instead :roll:

Well, that sucks. Sorry for you guys down there along the Front Range and back through Fairplay.

Well, selfishly and shallowly speaking for NAXJA, at least this is still east of the Divide.

Although you still have major stuff around Glenwood Springs, Grand Junction, and above Durango, for now, the central section is holding out. Of course, with mandatory controls in place and no rain, any area of CO is iffy at this time.

Bears watching though - maybe 2002 isn't the right year for this thing. (Another good thing about Moab - nothing but slickrock to burn!)

Amazing the difference between CO and NJ, we just had a "major" forest fire in the Pine Barrens - about 1500 acres! Of course, on the line, it's all the same - fire - wind - firefighters - and anxious homeowners.

You guys stay safe.

Mike in NJ

Pray For Moonsoon

It's a shame that this is happening this year. It's a cycle, and one that needs to happen, but it's a shame anyway. New maps of the Hayman fire (the big one on the Front Range) show Longwater and Metberry Gulches as completely wiped out, which are two of our closer trails. I had hoped they were spared, but looks like they weren't.

The higher elevations, especially around the Divide, tend to squeeze out what moisture may be available, and of course they have snow the longest. The Hayman fire is in a basin, geographically. There are no high mountains anywhere near it, and it is following the South Platte river basin. Essentially, it is a foothills fire, and one that will probably be out when there is nothing left to burn. Nonetheless, if it is this dry in late July, the public lands will be closed for certain.

Moonsoon season starts in late June, so let's hope it brings relief. As for Moab - might as well be on fire in mid-July :lol: .

Nay

So far there are two National Forests that have been closed to all access. Here is a list of the trails that travel within the two NF's.

[b:69290fd4bd]Pike National Forest:[/b:69290fd4bd]
Breakneck Pass
Browns Pass
Eaglerock
Hackett Gultch
Longwater Gultch
Metberry Gultch
Mosquito Pass
Redcone Pass
Slaughterhouse
Twincone Peak
Webster Pass
Weston Pass
Wheeler Lake

[b:69290fd4bd]San Isabel National Forest:[/b:69290fd4bd]
Grizzley Lake
Halfmoon Rd/Mt. Champion
Hancock Pass
Iron Chest
Iron Mike Mine/S. Halfmoon rd
Mosquito Pass
Chinamans
Pomeray
Slide Lake
Tincup Pass
Weston
Wurtz Ditch

I would assume that as this drought continues, more closures will follow. I've pretty much given up on wheeling this summer. :(

Nope

As Eric found out, this is not correct. It may be in the near future, but at this time, closures are limited to specified counties involved in the fire.
The talk has begun about stopping public access to National Forests across Colorado, but it hasn't happened as yet. If the Sea of Cortez and the Gulf of Mexico don't start pumping some moisture up here soon, it probably will.
Fred

It's lovely to find out it was a forestry employee who started the fire in the Pike National Forest which has burned more than 100,000 acres by burning a letter from her ex-husband and then lied about what happened. It makes me sick.

Back