• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ headers?

That's not a "header", it's an aftermarket stock manifold replacement. Don't waste your money on an actual "header" for a 4.0...$400 for ~10hp is ridiculous.

ZmOz said:
That's not a "header", it's an aftermarket stock manifold replacement. Don't waste your money on an actual "header" for a 4.0...$400 for ~10hp is ridiculous.

It isn't just the little bit of power you're paying for...it's reliability. There's no 'waste' in paying for something that won't break.

ECKSJAY said:
It isn't just the little bit of power you're paying for...it's reliability. There's no 'waste' in paying for something that won't break.

I seem to remember at least some of the aftermarket headers cracking just like the OEMs. People make a much bigger deal out of the cracking problem than there actually is...they don't all crack, and even when it does, who cares? Mine's cracked, I couldn't care less. So it's a tad noisier...most of us want flowmasters anyway.

The bottom line is they all will crack at some time or another simply due to the size of the manifold and the expansion/contraction from heat cycling. At least if you get one that has a lifetime or million mile warranty you shouldn't have to pay for another one (not including other parts/labor). There is a performance advantage with a tuned header.

that ebay one looks like a piece of crap

i am very happy with my borla

after going thru the install on the new borla header, i hope to not have to do it ever again

some friend of mine told me to just weld up the old cracked manifold and throw it back on--i said no thanks

but i mean, i guess it all comes down to what you have in your budget too....

graVes14 said:
I just found these on ebay and was wondering
1) if anyone has experience with them
2) if they are of any quality
3) how they fit

thanx
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33631&item=7948415404&rd=1

I just got one off ebay, from A-1 Auto. Seems like it was 123.xx and 18.00 for shipping. It looks like the one from your link. If I did it over again I'd get the cheapest one on Ebay. I think they are probably the same, just make sure you get the gasket with it.

The quality is okay, didn't seem as heavy as the stocker. But I didn't weigh them either.

It fit fine. I was concerned about a few places lining up, because I couldn't get the bolts stated. Turns out it is so tight that the socket was touching the tube making some of the bolts try and start a angle. All bolts went in fine once they were aligned, just tricky getting a few in.

I have a borla and a performance cat, 2.5" pipes and flowemaster 50s i am very happy with it. When i bought my new exhaust system in 2002 banks didn't have the 4.0 header out. If i did it today i would get the BANKS header first. Buuuut my borla is guaranteed for a million miles so i am sure it will outlast my XJ or i get a new free one. The BANKS unit is t6061 stainless steel as compared to boral t304 and t304 for the ebay unit. BANKS also welds BOTH inside and outside of their units. I personally wouldn't buy any off brand stuff on ebay that durability is questionable, my time is to valuable.
Do you really want to put in another one in two years ?

Ebay is great for offbrand and knockoffs like: cup holders, carpet, headrest, shifter knob, mirrors etc but not something like an exhaust manifold. I would skip on the ebay crap and go with a trusted industry leader like Borla or Banks. IN THE LONG RUN ITS THE BEST VALUE FOR SURE.

Last edited:
Do borla or banks make a 4.0L XJ specific header? If so whre can i find one and how much do they cost. I was looking at the ebay knockoff because my manifold is cracked and leaking badly and I only have around $200 to spend on a replacement. I figured that the ebay headers were better than a stock manifold.

please keep the suggestions coming

Back