• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Few Questions about Trip!

It's pretty ugly out here right now. The fire is bad enough that it is creating weather systems (thunderheads) above itself, then probably raining on itself, dissapating the thunderhead, and then starting all over again. Damn good thing the wind is blowing Northeast, unless of course you happen to live in Denver.

The fire skirted the west side of the S. Platte river right on the other side of two of our favorite local trails, Hackett and Longwater Gulch. Both trails run straight down to the river from the Eastern side. If it the wind shifts and it jumps, we could lose that entire area.

Several of the national forests in Colorado are closed to all access, be it hiking, driving, frisbee golf, rednecking, whatever. The fire west of here that is taking out 500 acres an hour was started by idiots breaking the law and lighting a campfire. If the drought continues, access may stay shut down in the drier parts of the state. All of Colorado is a declared disaster area and is receiving federal aid for fire fighting. Snowpacks that usually last until mid-late July are gone in many areas.

I will suggest again that NAXJA consider an alternate plan in the San Juans. The monsoon season hits that area the hardest, so even if it is mild it will be wetter there than the rest of Colorado. No guarantees, though, as a fire on a 10,000 ft. ridge is burning in the area right now. If it keeps up on this pace, all federal land in Colorado could be shut down for much of the summer.

Nay

And it burns, burns, burns...

Dave is right on with this - even if the forests are open, everyone needs to carefully consider the risk of being on a trail with the real possibility of a fire closing in. There would be no place of safety to go to, and no time in which to do so. Dry conditions with high winds and slopes that favor rapid ignition in the uphill direction (hot air rises - duh) are where the good trails are found. In a way, trails are probably less safe than a random spot in the forest. Lighting strikes and ignorant people are both beyond our control, but I know which one is more likely to be found at the trailhead.

In a way, the Indy trail network is a safer place to wheel after all.

[quote:b0c8109139="Mike in NJ"]Whatsamatter - no media coverage in La-La Land?

I know you guys out there tend to be very self-absorbed, but this situation is covered pretty well even on the Right Coast.

I guess unless it includes some famous dude's (or dudette's) mansion burning as in Malibu, you guys don't pay much attention to anything other than the Santa Ana's?

Mike in "also drought stricken" NJ[/quote:b0c8109139]

Sheesh I'm sorry I don't watch the news. I have been wheeling alot lately but I really don't watch much news. Whose house burnt down in Malibu ?. It's news to me. :lol:

Back