• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need fuel pump replacement help QUICK "please"

cjben

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry for the urgency here,but my xj has to be up and running today.I am replacing the fuel pump. The problem I have is with the wiring for the pump. the old pump was a bosch(not sure if that was stock or not),and it has the spade type connectors on it. my new pump has the stud type connectors that need a nut to hold the eye terminals for the power wires. Is this the wrong pump,or do I need to switch the wires over to the eye terminals? do I have to solder the terminal connections? I noticed the power wires now have heat shrink tubing,but I don't have any of that.:( i did look up the pump # they gave me at auto zone,and the one they gave me is the right part#.this is for my 92 xj 4.0 5 speed. thanks for any and all advice given!!!!....Ben

ok,sorry for hitting the panic button to soon!!! I figured the wiring out. there were 2 spade connectors with the fuel pump that I had to bend and bolt onto the studs on the new fuel pump. I couldn't figure out what they were at 1st. my question now is do I need to put heat shrink over the whole terminal or just the wires like they had it when I took it apart? I guess what I am trying to ask is that it isn't going to hurt anything for the spade connectors to be exposed to gasoline is it? I think not since that is the way they were when I took it apart,just want to make sure thanks,Ben

As long as you make sure they don't touch anything metal, the heat shrink is not strictly needed.

thanks for the help,I got it back together about 20 minutes before I had to leave for the local dirt track :) It runs great,and it is nice not to have to crank the engine over for a long time before it fires up:)

Back