NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Events > Past NAXJA Events > PAST NAXJA EVENTS > Cherokee Crawl 2010
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Cherokee Crawl 2010 July 1-4, 2010 in Harlan, Kentucky

Old July 26th, 2010, 20:31
NAXJA Member

Re: Hear Ye, Hear Ye.....

BTW, I would love to offer any assistance needed in planning and conducting this event or any others for that matter. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help!!!
Old July 27th, 2010, 06:41
YOLO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn 93 View Post
BTW, I would love to offer any assistance needed in planning and conducting this event or any others for that matter. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help!!!
We will definately be taking people up on their offers to help with next years event. Thanks for volunteering!
Old July 28th, 2010, 09:47
I have not Confirmed, or I used a BAD email Addy

i was thinking..
a photocopy of the map.. or "home made" map.. 3 different colors indicating easy medium and hard groups mapped out ahead of time, for those that are running easy trails but want to do something harder can switch and know what trails the other groups are running.. and vice versa?

mark
Old July 28th, 2010, 10:19
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeep View Post
Someday everyone will realize that events have to be centered around places to wheel. We get more and more stuff taken away every year. It's not about the boundaries of a chapter.

The geographical boundaries of states do not translate into a chapter, in real life. It looks great on a map, but concentrations of guys that do what we like to do are always centered around places to wheel.

When Tellico was the unoffical home of the crawl, it was still a 20 hour drive from Florida. Or 12 hours from the gulf coast. Or 12 hours from the eastern part of Virginia. People came or they didn't, but not because of where it was, but because they wanted to participate. Moving the event to their driveway won't make them want to participate anymore than moving it 1000 miles away will.

Moving the crawl to Harlan hasn't changed the people who will show up there, because the same people that lived and breathed the Crawl in Tellico are the ones that are showing up to Harlan. It's not about alienating the SEC's members, it's about creating events to go wheeling.

Ed told me that he couldn't even get Alabama guys to come to Morris Mountain. They bitch and whine about having to drive to Tellico or Harlan, but when it's in their backyard, they don't come either. That tells me it's not about location, it's about desire.

In 5 years, people will drive 20 hours to come to the Crawl at Harlan, just like I do for Winterfest. But that won't happen if you don't pick a great place to wheel, on a consistent weekend, for a set group of volunteers. Ed did just that, now there's nowhere to go but up.

If you're not going to support because you think putting the Crawl in a place 3 hours from your house is wrong, I sure wish I had your problem.
A RedHeep rant I can FULLY back!

I drove 6 hours each way to go to NACFest this year - showed up after midnight Friday evening, left Sunday. I am fairly certain I spent more time in transit than I did offroad - and I didn't even have a Jeep to wheel, I showed up for the fun and to hang out with the crew. If you want to go... go. Some showed up from way further away, like one of the guys who drove from northern VT to Rausch.

It's pretty tough to find a good spot with all the support needed, like has already been mentioned, there are only a few campgrounds that are really wheeler friendly in the area of Rausch Creek. Pick the location that fits, and people will either show up, or not show up.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.