• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TJ Transfer Case Needed New/Reman or Used

Rusthawk

NAXJA Forum User
Hi folks, I'm in search of a reputable vendor online who can sell me a new/reman transfer case for my 1998 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0L PowerTech I6 Automatic Transmission. I tried two websites online and one bait and switched pricing last minute and the other seems to suffer from the same problem (with their online reviews). The part went from $672 to more than $1500. MopartPartsOverStock and JeepareUs were a headache. Anyone online to recommend or even a vendor here through NAXJA? Even a good solid re-manufactured part would work great. Definitely not looking to spend $1500 but wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations. Thanks!

If you were on the west coast I'd recommend Inland Jeep, but I can't see it cost effective to ship across the country. If you want a used one, not reman try car-part.com. looks like there quite a few for 250-400 bucks. If you need to add a sye, get a chain, shift pads and or bearings and seals kit to freshen it up.

Thats a great question. If it was me, I would rebuild my case if possible, if not check the local junk yards for one.

Occasionally I see the rubicon 231s with the 4:1 low range pop up on sale sites.

mac 'my local pick a part knows me by name' gyvr

Shouidn't a 1998 TJ non-Rubcon be the same 231 as an XJ? The tailshaft may be different, but using an SYE should eliminate that issue.

David Bricker / SYR

Back