• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CO Fest 2015

ColoradoRaptor

Headbanging Hillbilly
NAXJA Member
I would like to suggest having CO Fest next year in the Ouray/Silverton area within the last two weeks of July. I hope this is not to much to ask in advance. :rtm: ......:D

All input is appreciated. It's hard to make decisions in a vacuum. BTW, I agree.

All input is appreciated. It's hard to make decisions in a vacuum. BTW, I agree.

I understand. I am just bummed that this years Fest is no good for me because of the early August date. We usually have it the end of July and that is when I put in for time off from work. So I was hoping if I generated some interest early for Silverton/Ouray that people could wrap thier heads, work schedule and wallets around the idea. I personally love the area and never tire of the views and mining roads! Not to mention there are some really great hardcore trails in the Montrose area!!

Find us a good base camp and then it will be doable last trip out there was way crappy!!!

Find us a good base camp and then it will be doable last trip out there was way crappy!!!

Sounds good, I will start looking around and post up some info for the CO BOD to look over. I had a great time when we were there last even with the rain. ;)

Sounds good, I will start looking around and post up some info for the CO BOD to look over. I had a great time when we were there last even with the rain. ;)

Was there a problem with the Ouray KOA where we stayed for Coloradofest 2011?

Wife and I thought it was great, nice location just outside of town, super clean restrooms and showers, good and reasonably priced restaurant on site.

We liked it so much, we're going back there for 4-5 days before this year's Coloradofest.

Was there a problem with the Ouray KOA where we stayed for Coloradofest 2011?

Wife and I thought it was great, nice location just outside of town, super clean restrooms and showers, good and reasonably priced restaurant on site.

We liked it so much, we're going back there for 4-5 days before this year's Coloradofest.

As far as I know there was no problem. I had a great time myself and am looking forward to another trip that way! My guess is that some were not as happy as we were. I am hoping to set something up now so we can have some more fun out that way next year! It would be nice to see you again!

That is where I made my first ColoradoFest. I like the place, but there is no group camping and getting a ton of sites together is not really possible. They would definitely not put up with our bonfire and all that goes along with it.

THIS!!

A bunch of drunk eagle scouts.........

That is where I made my first ColoradoFest. I like the place, but there is no group camping

Yes, there are group areas, they have them listed. This is part of what they list "​​​​​​There are several areas for groups in the park, check out the Group Activity Areas Brochure for detailed information. Contact the park at 970-626-5822 for further information about any of these sites.

Group Picnicking To Reserve

In addition to the group event area shelters in Pa-Co-Chu-Puk, there is an area in Dallas Creek where groups can picnic near a restroom and playground.

Group Picnicking Areas by Campgrounds

There are three group eating areas in the campgrounds for large camping groups. Note: Only campers are allowed in the campground group eating areas. No day use"

If this is not a doable spot I will look around some more and get back.

Last edited:
Yes, there are group areas, they have them listed.

Those are group event areas, what they are not, is group camping, as Tom said. I had a great time at the very first ColoradoFest. We actually did the first part of the week at Ridgway and the second half at Chalk Creek. Several of us booked early enough that we were all a stones throw from each other in one of the camping loops. It just does not have the same feel as the big group sites like Chalk Creek though. That seems to be the most popular, so it's hard to get people to the Ouray area for a week. I remember the Silverton trip and the group site we had there. If I remember correctly the site was shit and the owner tried to extort more cash out of us once we were on site. Other than that the trip was a blast. Even with my diff failing at highway speeds and almost kissing my ass goodbye. The San Juans have always been my favorite spot to wheel.

I think I see 'ole stumpy's rig in this photo. What ever happened to that guy?

P7260007.jpg

Last edited:
yup pretty sure thats the place that screwed us last time. lol

Back