• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coolant recovery tank from a Comanche

TiRod

NAXJA Forum User
Open GDI 3-core conversion complete - except the recovery tank.

Rather than poison the neighborhood pets :cry: it's time to rig up the tank.
And being I use the factory answers, I choose the Comanche tank because:

1)Found one in the salvage yard.
2) Doesn't take up valuable space on the firewall four feet away.

A picture would be nice to find - the tank fits on the forward slope of the drivers wheel well in the narrow gap between the air cleaner and fender. Two screws hold it.

Yes, I have to move: a) the fuel tank ballast resistor - back up the harness to the hood hinge like other models; b) the fan relay, under the washer tank; c) the EGR vac solenoid, under the washer tank, and shorten the vac lines. That's on a '90, which is the worst case scenario.

This sure looks cleaner and easier to service than some geek tank ty-rapped to the heater hoses. Anybody else done this?

I think the tank you are talking about is the same as the one I used when I converted my 85XJ to a 4.7L stroker. It made me move the air box towards the engine but it fits pretty good. The snaps on the air box are a bit tight but everything fits. I'll see if I can scrounge up a pix. My tank came from the original 2.5L in the 85 XJ. It was an open system.

That pretty much describes the fit when I took it out of the Comanche at the salvage yard - the clips are tight against it. However, i think I might be able to use it to squeeze the air box a little so the filter will actually seal up.

Loose filter = dirty air = blowby. Ya gotta wonder what they were thinking.

The wiring harness conversion is a little bit of work - yes, the OEM harness maker DID use duct tape in the loom to batch groups together - but not impossible. And there are multiple strands of the same color. Oh well.

Back