• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Bumper Build ??????'s

49erRider

NAXJA Forum User
Ok getting started on a rear bumper tire carrier build in the next couple weeks and had a few questions.

First the only place I've seen where you can buy pre-fab brackets is nates 4x4 and they don't have any pictures? Anyone know any other places that sell those as I think it would be much easier than building a set.

Also I'd really like a low profile bumper so I'm wondering your opinions on using 2x4 vs. 3x5? The plan is to do a cut and fold of the rear quarters and run a little 2x2 out to the sides as well. Going to get the tire carrier set from A to Z, and just build onto that with probably a passenger side offset.

Any advice on how you did yours or pictures with description would be great.

Thanks!

I'll be doing a rear bumper as well in the near future, no tire carrier though...
I would offset the tire to the driver side, that's how RSOR did ShaggyBob's bumper; it allows you to look over your right shoulder when backing up, and still see out the rear. Only downside (not a huge deal) is if you need the spare on the side of the road, it swings out towards traffic... :dunno: i would prefer the extra visibility, and pull off the road or into a parking lot if need be...

I'm sure Tyler or Bob may chime in, or post up a pic for ya...

I will say this about off setting the tire to one side or the other... it does make getting the hatch to still open a PITA. I had to fiddle around with bob's several times before I got it just right. It is doable, but be prepared to fuss a bit. What brackets are you needing? I have nut strip plate that line up with the factory nut strips to go on the bottom of the frame, and I can get you the plates for the back too. Shoot me a PM if you are interested and we will work something out.

http://www.atozfabrication.com/store/Tire-Carrier-Swingout-Component-Builders-Kit.html

Ill get this kit when i go to build one. I draw and design for a living so I can help you out if need be with the design of this make it practical as well.

I completely agree with melkor on that tire offset that has been my plan since the start and will definitely be doing that to mine.

More things to consider

http://www.atozfabrication.com/store/True-2-Receiver-Stock.html

http://www.atozfabrication.com/store/Weld-on-Flat-Face-Clevis-Mounts.html

As far as the bumper brackets go I would make one. My plan has always been to cut the sheet metal out from btwn the wholes in the frame so i can put a piece of steel straight into the frame and then make a plate to go over it so i could bolt it into place. then in the piece of steel that goes into the frame just use the factory hitch bolt locations and bolt through into the piece of steel.

If i didnt explain it well enough I could draw it or show you on the jeep and explain while showing you.

Yah Jim that is the same kit I've been looking at. Tyler I'll shoot you a PM once I get off my phone.

Ok getting started on a rear bumper tire carrier build in the next couple weeks and had a few questions.

First the only place I've seen where you can buy pre-fab brackets is nates 4x4 and they don't have any pictures?

just an FYI-- if you're planning a bumper build in the next "couple months," I'd avoid Nate-- from personal experience (and tons of second hand, too)

His stuff is pretty good, but speed of delivery and customer service will likely leave you fully planned and still wondering when they'll get there.

I gotta say, I really like the offset. Ended up mounting my CB antenna on the vertical post of the swingaway as well. The pic below doesn't show it but I drilled and tapped the lower bar to mount my plate.

0208101009a.jpg

Any reason not to have the tire on the drivers side, but still pivot from the passenger side?

It's a leverage thing.

With the tire offset closer to the pivot point, the weight is handled better. If the pivot was on the right and the tire on the left then the weight of the tire would be placing significantly more force on the pivot, possibly more than 4x more force (could be wrong, my physics are rusty) because of the "lever" effect.

It's a leverage thing.

With the tire offset closer to the pivot point, the weight is handled better. If the pivot was on the right and the tire on the left then the weight of the tire would be placing significantly more force on the pivot, possibly more than 4x more force (could be wrong, my physics are rusty) because of the "lever" effect.

Its a turning moment! But yes you are correct the load is greater depending on weight and length of the horizontal arm. Consider the tire a point load of say 55# at 3ft from the pivot point.

Turning moment = Force x Distance from the pivot

your looking at 165 Ft#'s of force on that pivot point.

I have a couple of questions for you on that bumper bob if you don't mind. Does the carrier affect your reverse lights or ability to see in the dark while reversing? Plans for relocating the license plate? Is there a reason you didnt have the tire sit lower?

I started building my swing out today, but havent finished yet. I assume you have seen my rear winch bumper. My rear swing out will have a custom double shear hinge set-up, and will hold two Jerry cans, and my hi-lift (and obviously the spare). I have built a couple of the single shear/trailer axle set-ups, and while they are fine for just a spare tire, I have noticed quite a bit of deflection when you add jerry cans and hi-lifts. Thats a whole lot of weight pivoting off of one point.

I started building my swing out today, but havent finished yet. I assume you have seen my rear winch bumper. My rear swing out will have a custom double shear hinge set-up, and will hold two Jerry cans, and my hi-lift (and obviously the spare). I have built a couple of the single shear/trailer axle set-ups, and while they are fine for just a spare tire, I have noticed quite a bit of deflection when you add jerry cans and hi-lifts. Thats a whole lot of weight pivoting off of one point.

I would love to see more info and pictures on this stump and yes i have seen your rear bumper with winch setup.

I have a couple of questions for you on that bumper bob if you don't mind. Does the carrier affect your reverse lights or ability to see in the dark while reversing? Plans for relocating the license plate? Is there a reason you didnt have the tire sit lower?

It blocks the left light a little but not a whole lot. I mounted the plate to the swing arm, and it sits high because I'll end up with 35 back there.

I used the biggest trailer spindle and hub that Northern Had... I think its rated for like 3000 Lbs... I put a piece of 3/16 plate around the hub to help disperse the load onto the casting better so it doesn't get brittle and break off.

The spindle I got was Billet steel... plenty safe to weld too. It was even square and fit perfectly inside the bumper tube. I rosette welded it into the tube. I was referring to welding to a cast hub. Everybody knows its not ideal to weld to the casting. I have seen a few break on the trail, so I put plate all the way around it on top of the square tube so it doesn't break off. You can see it on bob's picture.

Last edited:
Back