• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

vac. storage tank?

mike harris

NAXJA Forum User
What does the little round tank(behind the front bumper on pass. side) do?Is it for heater operation or vacume disconnect for the front axle?I'm looking for one of these and every dealer I call does'nt know what I'm talking about.I tried the junk yards and every one I find is crushed.Thanks

mike harris said:
What does the little round tank(behind the front bumper on pass. side) do?Is it for heater operation or vacume disconnect for the front axle?I'm looking for one of these and every dealer I call does'nt know what I'm talking about.I tried the junk yards and every one I find is crushed.Thanks
It's a vacuum bottle, and if your XJ has a disconnect front axle it operates that as well as the HVAC doors. I recall hearing something awhile back about someone using a generic or junkyard replacement, but good luck searching that.

I haven't looked lately, but JCWhitney used to sell vacuum cannisters in conjunction with their aftermarket cruise control units. They were a separate item that was available for people with small engines (I think the JCWhitney catalog specifically mentioned 3-cylinder engines :confused1 ). I would think that you could adapt one of these, in a pinch.

Any kind of sealed canister should work. I keep wondering about brazing or welding a couple of fittings onto one of those propane bottles from a hand torch or a camp stove ... or an old fire extinguisher bottle. Should be a lot more durable than the plastic ones from the factory.

Back