• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

White Rim Trail- Who's interested in going?

How would you like your White Rim served up?

• Informal overnight trip- Sunday/Monday

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Official Fall Fling overnight trip- 2 days between Monday and Sunday

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Informal day trip- Sunday [i]or[/i] Monday

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Official Fall Fling day trip- 6AM departure one day between Monday and Saturday

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

Handlebars

NAXJA Member #135
I've been wanting to do the White Trail for a long time and I plan on doing it one way or another come October. If enough other people are interested in going I am willing to lead a trip up there. The only problem is logistics.

A little information on this trail for those who don't know- It is a 100 mile loop around the Island in the Sky District in Canyonlands National Park. The route is entirely unpaved, but easily negotiated in a stock Cherokee. I would prefer to do this trail as an overnight trip, staying at one of the 10 campsites along the route. Those campsites require a permit to be acquired in advance and that permit is only good for 3 vehicles and 15 people. The campsites have toilets but there is no water available anywhere along the trail. If there are more than 3 vehicles worth of people going than we would have to split into groups of three and possibly camp at different sites. The upside is the small groups would allow more flexibility to take side trips, photo ops and short hikes to some of the sights along the way.

The alternative would to make a long day trip from Slickrock Campground with a departure time of 6AM or so. Sunrise that week isn't until 7:15AM but leaving this early would allow us to get up on the White Rim by then as it is a 30 mile drive from Moab. There would be no size limit to the group if we didn't camp but it may be difficult to keep up a fast enough pace to get back in one day.

Here's the official scoop: http://www.nps.gov/cany/island/wrim.htm

Good choice. But, as you plan this one, in case it doesn't work out - keep in mind that one of the scheduled "scenic" runs includes a very small taste of White Rim.

We're planning on running tried and true Shafer Trail, but, extending that along White Rim Trail past Musselmann Arch beyond Airport Tower to view Washer Woman Arch, and a side trip down to the River via Lathrop Canyon.

4 months! :D

Mike in NJ :patriot:

I think I'm interested in the informal SUnday or Monday, probably leaning closer to Monday as I will be driving all day Sat to get to Moab...

Kejtar

A report About the PG. I was just down there. from the 21st to the 24th and had no problem doing lower proving. no signs saying that your not sposed top be there or anything. If you guys care or are intrested at all.

jerm S.

Back