• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steppin up to 35s

sinat01

NAXJA Forum User
So details on the jeep how it sits
1999 2 door
AX-15
4.5" Lift
Cut and fold done
stock flares
steinjeager tie rod
stock steering for everything else
Axles regeared to 4.11s
HP D30
Chrysler 8.25 (29 spline)
Open diffs.
33.10.50R15 KM2s on stock 5 spoke wheels

I plan on bumping up to 35x12.50R15 General X3s soon.
What are some good upgrades to do?
I was thinking trusses front and rear, and synergy steering
I will be buying Napier flat flares next month
What is a good wheel backspacing to go with?
KJ brake swap is something I have on my to do list also

I'm not swapping in an 8.8 due to a 8.25 being near the same strength
This is a daily driver and a weekend warrior, I know how to off
road without stomping the pedal for everything.
Also plan on getting a Trutrack for the D30 sometime soon too
Hasta

I’d highly recommend brake upgrades. Black magic page up front at least, if not a WJ swap, in addition to the rear discs

You didn't say what lift you have, but I would do lockers before 35" inch tires. If you can't get there with 33's.............

You didn't say what lift you have, but I would do lockers before 35" inch tires. If you can't get there with 33's.............

Agreed. Ditch the true track and put a real locker up front. It'll make you feel like you've been doing it wrong this whole time. I have an Aussie locker in the front of mine. I never notice it on the street.

I dont have the truetrac yet. and I'll be getting it for a good price.
I geared it to 4.11s for the 35s. with a 5 speed I can get away with it. and I can get where I want with 33s. I just want the extra clearance of the 35s

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I’d have to disagree with you on gears. I had an AX-15 with 4.10s and 31s and loved it. My TJ with the NV-3550 with 33s and 3.73s was under powered. I now have 35s and 4.88s. It’s great off road and fine on road. If it was my dd I might do 4.56. I don’t think there’s anyway I’d be happy with 4.10s and 35s. I do agree that a locker will get you farther down the trail than bigger tires.

IDK 33s and 4.11s are pretty good and I think would be fine with 35s
any of em are better than the 3.07s and 33s I was dealing with. 3.73 would bring the jeep to stock level with 33s and 4.11s bring it to stock with 35s

IDK 33s and 4.11s are pretty good and I think would be fine with 35s
any of em are better than the 3.07s and 33s I was dealing with. 3.73 would bring the jeep to stock level with 33s and 4.11s bring it to stock with 35s

Flawed logic.
Stock gear ratios are based on a set vehicle weight, tire/wheel size and contact patch (rolling resistance), ride height (drag coefficient), average cargo, etc.

"Stock level" gearing comparisons suggests that your rig is at stock height, larger tires/wheels weigh the same as the stock setup and have the same rolling resistance, stock bumpers, no armor, no winch, no added recovery gear or cargo.

Once your build moves outside of "stock" parameters, comparing new gear ratios to the stock ratio does not apply.

Since we are on the subject. Has anyone on here used Milestar Patagonia MT tires on their rig? I'm gonna be getting a set, just wanna see if anyone else has run em

Get the Generals. They're pretty cheap and a waaaay better tire.

Also, keep in mind the Generals are true 35s, you may have to bumpstop more than others with "35s"

To add: I'm running a ~4.75" lift, and my 33" X3s with full length Daystar bumpstops needed some front fenderwell pounding and seam weld folding to clear.

To add: I'm running a ~4.75" lift, and my 33" X3s with full length Daystar bumpstops needed some front fenderwell pounding and seam weld folding to clear.
im surprised, mine only rub on the lower control arm and sometimes rub the fender flare if I stuff it good.
But at the price I can get the milestars for, im gonna try em and see how they do

Back